Sharing & Feedback

So many questions ...

So many questions ...

by Rosilyn Teng -
Number of replies: 3

Scrabble tiles spelling out Hard Times, Jobs, Taxes, CERB and CEWS

We are experiencing an exceptional economic period. While we may share the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, each has a unique experience of this time.  The concepts explored in our principles classes are being put to the life test as our society looks for coping mechanisms and solutions.  In 30 to 100 words, please address one of the following questions:

What is one concept from the principles course that has been helpful to you in 2020?

What is one question you hope to have addressed in our class?

What is one concept or idea you wish to explore more deeply? 

After you have made your post, please read over your classmates' posts and respond to one.  You may wish to respond to a post that resonated with you or to a post that offers a question or concept you had not considered.  

In reply to Rosilyn Teng

Re: So many questions ...

by Barbara Mauter -

Rosilyn

Intriguing Discussion. I like your photo. I have a couple of questions, you have posed three questions to students to respond to. Does this make your grading more challenging? I do like the idea of having a choice.

The second two questions might be combined as; What are your expectations of this course?

I do like how you have asked students to think about responding to a concept they  had not considered.

In reply to Barbara Mauter

by Rosilyn Teng -

Barbara,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback. I need to learn how to take photos.

I have not provided choice to my students in the past but I  suspect you are correct,  it will increase the marking.   I am considering how I would design a rubric that would allow for the choice and allow me to be efficient marking.  

I may use your revised question as it is much more concise.

In reply to Rosilyn Teng

by Barbara Mauter -

Rosilyn

You are most welcome.  No worries. A hint for photos, in BlackBoard one has the ability to "search" for a photo by topic (found under the "Mashups"). I often use this search. I would believe most other LMS  have a similar option.

Oh, I had not meant to discourage you, I just thought it could complicate the grading. I do so like the option to grade with a rubric, as it seems to streamline my grading process. What you might do is separate the questions, maybe use one in a Journal or Blog and the other as a Discussion Board post. This way you can simplify the grading process, and still learn what your students are thinking.

Yes, please do feel free to use the question, that is why I shared. I will tell you a bit about what happened in my course last week, when I posted a similar question about course expectations... oh my! One of my students wrote enough information that he was hoping I had "planned" to cover that would encompass 7 or more courses! YIKES! I did respond to him for all to read, about his extensive list of topics/ areas of Native American studies he "hoped" I would be addressing this semester!  I mentioned he had really set the bar quite high! I would do what I could and referred him to the listing of references I had included.