Sharing & Feedback

Tell me Why

Tell me Why

by Denise Swift -
Number of replies: 4

Congratulations on enrolling in the Quality Improvement program to provide participants with the capability to effectively lead quality and safety initiatives, and teach and advise others in the process of improving health care quality.

We have our objectives, but what are yours? Understanding why you are here (your purpose) and what you want to accomplish will influence your motivation to learn and what you focus on. Sharing your why with us connects us in learning and provides context to make meaning. 

Thank you in advance in helping build out learning environment.

Denise

In reply to Denise Swift

Re: Tell me Why

by Leanne Johnson -

I think asking student why they took the course is an excellent practice. And I think you would get a lot of responses because obviously there is not right answer!  The tone of voice is very concise and clinical, my answer would be in the same tone. Whereas, if asked in a more personal way, I might want recount a more personal experience.

In reply to Leanne Johnson

by Denise Swift -

Thanks for this comment. I was thinking about providing an example which would be how I would answer the question personally. Would that solve the problem? 

In reply to Denise Swift

by Barbara Mauter -

Denise

I like how you put the reasons of "WHY" back to the participants! You can use this to modify or revise your course, based on what they are looking for as a take-a-way. 

Additionally, you spoke how sharing will help build a better learning environment. Subtle encouragement to respond!

In reply to Denise Swift

by Doug Strable -

Hello Denise, 

I agree with the point Leanne mentioned:  The tone of the prompt that goes out would elicit responses in the same tone. 

I just read through Norma's post on "Things that Go Hmmm? and loved how she positioned the prompt as talking to me personally.  I think by mentioning some more personal details of the course and connecting the prompt to the participants would produce some fantastic responses. 

Something like, "We've got a great group of 24 members located throughout Canada and Europe in the Health Care Quality Improvement program........ then tell me more stories about the course. Then I would reply with my story. 

Doug