Sharing & Feedback

Bonnie's Proposed Discussion Prompt

Bonnie's Proposed Discussion Prompt

by Bonita Russell -
Number of replies: 5

For an undergraduate e-management course in a week where the topic is the digital technologies and more specifically, 5G, I am considering this question for the Discussion Forum: 

Why has 5G become a geopolitical issue?

In reply to Bonita Russell

Re: Bonnie's Proposed Discussion Prompt

by Elena Felgar -

Ok, I am going out on a limb here because I am very VERY naive about digital technologies, but I am intrigued about why these would be a geopolitical issue! It might be helpful to hear more about why you are asking this and who the audience is.

I can imagine that some learners will respond to the question and that might be the end of road for the discussion forum, with little motivation for ongoing or deeper dialogue. I wonder if this is something that could be structured as a debate?  For example, could you assign (or ask them to choose) a position on this topic (e.g. "5G is a geopolitical issue" and "5G is NOT a geopolitical issue"). If the learners had opposing positions and had to defend why they believed that (perhaps using evidence or course readings to support their argument), it could promote some (possibly heated?) discussion and reflection on why they believe what they believe and why others may disagree or see things differently.

Looking forward to reading more about this!

In reply to Elena Felgar

by Branca Mirnic -

Hello Bonnie,

Love your idea. 

I have tried Debates through online discussions where my students had to practice the debate language. This was a 3-day setup

3-day online written practice in preparation for the oral debate 

The following activities are done at home over a 3-day period. The purpose is to allow you to gain experience in the language of argumentation, source attribution and acknowledgment of the opposition as a preparation for  the oral debate.  

Day 1: You are organized in discussion groups to present your side of the argument: Introduce it in two different points with good evidence and attribution of sources

Day 2: Once you read each other's presentation of the argument, you ask clarification questions to get a sense of the opponents’ strengths or weaknesses. Then you answer the questions and if possible or necessary, you cite the source. In the afternoon, you start the rebuttal. Being asynchronous, it gives you time to think, address points directly, and find good sources that will likely have stronger evidence than the opponent's. You practice the language of respectfully disagreeing, providing the basis for disagreement, and showing effective communication skills.

Day 3: The rebuttal continues in the same manner until arguments are exhausted. In the evening, you summarize your argument.

In reply to Branca Mirnic

by Bonita Russell -

Good evening and thank you for sharing your 3-day online debate instructions.  For my undergraduate learners, firm due dates do not work well and I find I have to host a ‘make-up’ day late in the semester to give learners a chance to catch up.  For my graduate students, a structured debate around a different question over a 3-day period might work.  I will give it a try.

In reply to Branca Mirnic

by Jonelle Knowles -

I have used debate in class and always had great student feedback. The passion seeps in and the competitive nature drives them to be more thorough than they might otherwise be with just a discussion. I have been considering how to keep this in my asynchronous course, so I thank you for these guidelines.

In reply to Elena Felgar

by Bonita Russell -

Good evening and thank you for commenting on my proposed discussion question.  You could argue for and against 5G being a geopolitical issue but the sentiment seems to be that it is a geopolitical issue. 

For learners, 5G promises greater transmission speed and lower latency, which they find appealing.  I doubt may of them will have thought about the wider implications of the technology.  My discussion question was intended to get them to see that the technology is not benign.   I will keep working on the prompt.