Sharing & Feedback

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

by Branca Mirnic -
Number of replies: 8

What do you think makes certain things—for example, landscapes, buildings, or images—beautiful? What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen? Why is it beautiful?

Please attach a video clip or an image to your post.

I will ask the students to post by Wednesday evening, see all the posts and comment on at least two of the classmates' posts before Friday class. To avoid simply "I agree", I will ask the students to analyze further, express their point of view, provide details/support and include the word count. I also attach an evaluation rubric which serves as a guide. Depending on the level in a language class the responses can be 30-100 words. Also, in order to see other posts, students "Must Post First".

In reply to Branca Mirnic

Re: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

by Leanne Johnson -

I like the idea of attaching a video clip instead of asking students to write a response.

by Norma Sherret -

Thanks Branca,

You've provided some great language to structure the expectations for student engagement in the discussion forum. I was thinking about a word count to guide students in their ability to articulate their ideas in concise ways as this demonstrates a higher level of competency in their written communications and their growing professionalism (I teach upper level undergrad nursing courses).

A question to all:

What are the benefits/risks of assigning a grade percentage for the discussion posts?

Thanks

Norma

In reply to Norma Sherret

by Barbara Mauter -

Hi Norma

In response to your question re using a percentage to grade a Discussion Board post.

My courses are upper level humanities or social sciences and I tend to strive to include critical thinking questions and activities in my courses.

I assign a weekly discussion board response. What I have done for several years is grade their responses via a rubric like this one:

Grading Rubric for ALL Discussion Board Posts:

Student has answered each part of the question(s) adequately (7-10 sentences per post, not including comments on others' posts) 4 points; Included a response to at least two others' posts (by Sunday at 11:59 PM) 4 points; Post is relatively free of mechanical errors (spelling, grammar, complete sentences, etc.) 2 points.

Students are to initially respond by Thursday evening. All responses are set so they must post first, before viewing the submissions.

I go by the number of sentences, this could be converted to a set number of words.

In reply to Barbara Mauter

by Barbara Mauter -

Rachel Loganberg: I really love the rubric idea for discussion boards. Re: # of sentences - Do you ever find that some of your students provide 'fluff' answers because they are looking for a quantity answer, and not quality answer?

In response to "fluff" answers. My course is upper level and I thankfully have not had too many students do that! It seems it is the same students opt to write just a few lines.

My very recent concern is I assigned a PRIVATE Journal response worth 5 points. I mainly want to my students to be thinking about the course material.

I asked them to share a detail or example from their life or their families' life, of how they see (view) life as circular. (Our readings were based on the Circle of Life, included the excerpt from Black Elk Speaks on how everything a Native does is circular... ).  Well, most of my students are submitting papers that are 2 PAGES LONG!! I would have been quite pleased with 10 sentences! It seems the readings and activities this week has caused many of them to seriously think!! Not a bad thing at all.... I have since revised the points on this Journal entry. I explained how thrilled I was with their descriptive and interesting Journal posts. Noting I did not wish to discount their efforts. I did ask students to let me know how they felt about this, so far no critics! I want to encourage their writing and hopefully, this is the message they got. This is the first run of my course, so I know I have a number of bugs to work out!

by Rachel Loganberg -

I couldn't resist answering this post...one of the most beautiful places I have been. 
Great idea, Branca!
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/world-heritage/cappadocia/

In reply to Rachel Loganberg

by Branca Mirnic -

Wow, thanks

I'm definitely going to include the discussion prompt for my next course.

by Barbara Mauter -

Branca

I completely approve of your assignment!! Wonderful idea!!

My problem is I have visited a number of beautiful places!! Hard to narrow it down!! Although, always high on my list are mountains (PUN if you wish : )  I must say a trip to Germany to visit my son a few years ago was quite impressive! He knows I am a mountain person (sadly live in the FLATTEST place in Ohio!!) so we went to the top of Zugspitze the highest mountain in Germany! YES! We rode the cable tram in this video!! Enjoy!