Sharing & Feedback

Environment Influences in Eating Habits

Environment Influences in Eating Habits

by Stephanie Lau -
Number of replies: 5

Regardless of the mode of transportation you use to go to school (or work!), we will most likely pass by shops, signs, and advertisements. Some of these prompts may influence our eating habits more than you think! 

Fast food in the way?

Now, imagine the route you usually take to go to school. Think about all the food outlets, advertisements, and other potential prompts along the way. Now, using google maps or drawing it out, map out all the potential prompts. Share your map with us in this discussion thread! 

In reply to Stephanie Lau

Re: Environment Influences in Eating Habits

by Branca Mirnic -

Hi Stephanie,

Love the idea of attaching a map or an image to the post.

Thanks for sharing, I just have an idea for a discussion post.Branca

by Barbara Mauter -

Interesting Stephanie, this reminds me of a class discussion in a Pop Culture course!! Trace your route and list ALL the signs you see! In what way do these influence you? When one stops to really "see" the signs, it is shocking the sheer number of them!!

Thinking you could ask them "why" they choose a particular place. This may relate more to visiting a new city or country.

In reply to Barbara Mauter

by Elena Felgar -

Ooo, I really like the prompt and think it would be a fun exercise!

I agree with Barbara's suggestion about why they chose a particular place (if that has relevance) or to explain or share more about their map. Maybe this could be what they notice about others' maps? Why might they be different? Why might they be similar? It would be interesting to prompt reflection about any conclusions they draw from the maps.

by Doug Strable -

Hello Stephanie, 

I love the strategy of getting students to be involved in an activity as a prompt to a discussion. You made me also aware that I need to involve students more in the prompts (setting the atmosphere as I mentioned in the open forum) and visuals are so powerful to enhance interest and our thoughts. 

by Avery Hulbert -

Hello Stephanie! 

I found this so interesting and instantly stimulated my motivation to complete this task. I love that you are making connections to the students worlds and encouraging self reflection into the lesson and content. 

Instructions and forum was simple, clear and well laid out. 

Excellent work, you have inspired me! 

Avery :)