Sharing & Feedback

Picture This...

Picture This...

by Melanie Chernoff -
Number of replies: 5

Trees

You have just started a course titled "Young Offenders and the Canadian Criminal Justice System." You haven't yet taken a course fully dedicated to young people and the law and you are curious. You've heard some things on the news about young persons in conflict with the law and you've learned bits and pieces about the youth justice system either from friends working in the field or from instructors in other courses.

Include a picture/visual/graphic here and use it to describe what you hope to be true of the youth justice system in Canada.

In reply to Melanie Chernoff

Re: Picture This...

by Caley Ehnes -
I think this is a fantastic prompt, but I wonder if it might be more appropriate for a journal or reflection assignment? How do you see this building conversation/discussions between students? (This is something I struggle with as well!) 

As an aside, it might also be useful to link to potential image sites for students to access/use. This is a great time to introduce them to the concepts of copyright. 

by Elena Felgar -

I love the use of visuals and metaphors as a way to stimulate thinking. I do not typically use them as a facilitator, and when I see them, I am struck by how powerful they can be!

It may be that I need a bit more context for the discussion prompt (in terms of where/when this falls in the course), but I agree that it would help to have a bit more detail and/or additional reflection questions to promote ongoing discussion among participants. I am not sure exactly that this would look like, but maybe something like, what beliefs or beliefs have informed this hope? What are some examples of how youth involved in this system would be empowered? (trying not to be too leading...)

Looking forward to reading more about it!

Elena

In reply to Elena Felgar

by Melanie Chernoff -

Thank-you Caley and Elena for your responses, you have given me something to think about! These discussion prompts are not that easy!

I have used this activity in face-to face classes where I scatter images around the room and ask the students to select an image and to describe a concept. For this particular class, I do this activity on the very last day and ask them to select a picture that represents a component of or the effectiveness of the youth justice system.

For online delivery, I thought how about we do the same activity as a discussion board on the very first day of class and the very last day of class to see how their assumptions/knowledge/hopes have changed.

Love the idea of teaching about copyright and image sites at this point as well, I'll be sure to include that in the prompt.

by Caley Ehnes -

I love the idea of having students return to it at the end of the semester. You could also maybe ask students to respond to one of their peer's images (i.e. their favorite, the one they find the most interesting, etc.) 

In reply to Caley Ehnes

by Branca Mirnic -

Love the idea, too. if students revisit the discussion post and the responses they can also reflect on how the course has changed their thinking about _________ (whatever the subject matter is). I am always looking into the ways of having students avoid plagiarism.

Thanks for sharing these ideas