Sharing & Feedback

Is there a future for magazines?

Is there a future for magazines?

by Leanne Johnson -
Number of replies: 4
In an old magazine textbook, the authors suggested that computers would never take over from magazines, because you would never read on your computer in the bathtub. I think the authors were thinking that we would be working on an old Macintosh computer!
A picture of an older model Macintosh II computer aka the pizza box

Of course, technology has come a long way we are are reading on all sorts of devises--even in the bathtub!
But as technology has changed, have magazines kept pace with technology and the consumers' needs in 2020? Please review the assigned readings this week and tell us what you think the future of magazines is.
In reply to Leanne Johnson

Re: Is there a future for magazines?

by Sylvia Currie -

That computer is very familiar to me! I love the humour in this prompt, and I imagine younger students would be very wide-eyed at that bulky BEIGE machine! (And meanwhile this old fart is wide-eyed at bringing a device to the bathtub!) 

I wonder if with this question, although riveting, you might fall into the "then what" trap. What happens after everyone shares their thoughts on the future? "Tell us", while inclusive (much better than "tell me"!) can sometimes be a show stopper. 

Those are my immediate thoughts but let's see what others offer!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Norma Sherret -
Such a fun prompt! Now I know why bathtubs are so much bigger now than they were 30 years ago :)

This prompt encourages students to make a case based on what they've gleaned from the readings  thus demonstrating their comprehension and application skills. Would you then post a follow up question to move the discussion forward?

The potential pitfall I see is that the "keener" will provide a very thorough response that gives the rest of the group very little to add.

Sylvia, your questions have sparked more questions for me as a newbie to online teaching and discussion forum creation-eek!

What is the purpose of the forum? Should this be stated in the prompt?
How long do we expect discussion forums to last?
How do we recognize discussion fatigue?
How often should facilitators be contributing to the forum?

Thanks!

Norma

In reply to Norma Sherret

by Leanne Johnson -

Thanks for the chuckle and feedback Norma! Yes, That is an excellent idea the follow up and the purpose summary is great.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Leanne Johnson -

Thanks Sylvia! I see how that would be a "the what" trap.