Sharing & Feedback

Get your creative juices flowing...

Re: Get your creative juices flowing...

by Alida Janmaat -
Number of replies: 0

In the non-majors human biology class I was teaching over the summer, I had students create an analogy for the immune system.  The example that I shared was based on Lord of the Rings.  I was very excited by the creativity of all the analogies, so I asked my students to share their immune system analogies with the class.  One student did but no one else shared theirs.  I had hoped that by sharing the analogies, students would comment on ones that were based on similar themes and that the discussion would help to build a learning community.  I also thought that they would enjoy seeing what others came up with, since I had many a chuckle as I marked them.  I gave little direction other than to mention that the analogies were very creative and many had similar themes and that I thought they would benefit from seeing what others put together.  I added no marks for sharing which I'm sure led to the lack of engagement.  Students are so pressed for time, that they need to see that the exercise is worthwhile rather than busy work.   Perhaps it would have been better to have students share their analogies as part of the assignment rather than to simply hand them in to me?