Legitimate Peripheral Participation

Legitimate Peripheral Participation

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Number of replies: 4

When I asked the question: "What do you think of when "Lurking" is mentioned?", Susanne and Paul both jumped in with their reactions, which included references to Legitimate Peripheral Participation.

Let's get Sylvia to call Etienne Wenger, because he popularized that term when he co-authored the book with that title in 1991.

Here's my thought on that...isn't it a contradiction in terms to use "legitimate" and "peripheral" in one phrase? If we're calling a someone who is partipating from the fringes legitimate, why is that person still on the periphery? Doesn't the very act of participation make the person a central contributor to the community, not a marginal player?

I'm thinking about what name I would give to someone who we are willing to accept as authentic, even though the person is not active in a community. Thinking...thinking...

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Re: Situated learning. Legitimate Peripheral Participation

by Susanne Nyrop -
Hello Liz,

I've just snatched my copy of Jean Lave & Etienne Wenger's renowned Situated Learning - legitimate peripheral participation 1991 book from my bookshelf, one of my favorites to understand learning as a social process. And I just open on page 95:
"To begin with, newcomers' legitimate peripherality provides them with more than an "observational" lookout post: It crucially involves participation as a way of learning - of both absorbing and being absorbed in - the "culture of practice". An extended period of legitimate peripherality provides learners with opportunities to make the culture of practice theirs."

Hm. To me, this makes sense. Also in the case of "online lurkers". However, I begin to follow your thinking Liz - after an extended period of being "newcomer", then what? I believe this may also depend on viewpoint. Consider X joining an online workshop that runs for six weeks, totally unknown to everyone. He may or may not read along - who knows unless he decides to grasp the opportunity to jump uot of the shadows and say something, introduce himself, ask questions, tell stories, share information - following the more or less implicit code of conduct in the "local culture". The accept of a silent participant could be explicitly expressed by one or more oldtimers, as well as from the facilitator position, while also gently encouraging any kind of action in the open.

I will await your suggested role name with a reasonable explanation, Liz.

(after all, even such commonly accepted terms should be examined, reactualized  and renewed!)

In reply to Susanne Nyrop

Re: Situated learning. Legitimate Peripheral Participation

by Susanne Nyrop -
Hi - this is me again,

did a Google search to refresh my memory and found an article that I wrote back in 2002 (together with Nini Ebeltoft from Oslo). It was published in Danish but I wanted to have an English translation online as well.

As a pilot anthropology studt, we were exchanging first impressions as newcomers to four different online learning communities. Our view was to examine how helpfulness and gate keeping helps newcomers feel welcome and want to take part.

One of our researched communities were GEN - Global Educators'  Network, with seminars very much like here in Scope,also initiated and miraculously directed by our own dear Sylvia C (oh what a coincidence!)

We're not using Lave and Wenger here, but the accept of lurking is mentioned as important ( passage with red types)

I've included a quite long passage from this article as I found this might be of interest. Reading this today however make me feel it was a bit naive as a form, but we had such fun when writing together, all online only  ... :-)

"Following the discussion properly demands some prerequisite reading. We feel unsure how to join the discussion as foreigners from outside the community, but shortly after our first message, we experience how some people are responding, welcoming us and referring to our fumbling message. This openness makes us want to write back. Lurking is accepted, to read only without adding any content of your own, and the explicit welcoming is a strategy of including new members. In the beginning, we are confused by the multiple threads, as most people forget to create new headlines to cover the head points. But soon, we are enjoying the challenge of following the discussion, reading some of the referred articles found on the internet, and finding out about who participants are, as persons and as professionals. The discussion seminars run during periods from one to four weeks, and a colorful crowd of experts and practitioners share their expertise with interested members, with no fee. Formally, the GEN network has about 1.000 members, distributed among more than 40 nationalities, but the active core group consist of 40 or maybe 50 closer attached participants. We experience how some of them are quite familiar, often sharing implicit strokes and hints, and for some time, we feel like being in the periphery of a close community, gradually opening up to include a new active member in the circle. Many things may be read in between the lines and, after having read a few seminars, we get some insight in how threads are drawn back to earlier discussions, often leading to new topics in other seminars, and these sidelines document a chaotic project of collaborative knowledge building. GEN has a tradition to let even untrained participants experiment with the planning and facilitating of shorter seminars. In its actual configuration, the network has existed for more than two years, but is rooted deeply in a cross subject practice, experimenting with distributed learning and open knowledge sharing, instead of the academic exclusiveness you may often encounter in the field of development of educational software and content. Many GEN seminars have been goal directed towards research and development, including the ideas and critical exploration of end users, testing new program elements for computer supported cooperative learning (CSCL). The personal engagement varies, some seminars generate more than a hundred messages in just one week, while other topics do not really get ahead, or might run off the track. As we do not score any points for participation, the interest in itself should be a motivating factor. This puts a big demand on the coordinator as well as the facilitator to get the dialogue spinning and be the line keeper. Participants, too, are responsible to keep the dialogue alive. This is a meeting place for peers, as well as for testing your own abilities to debate: will our messages be read and commented upon, and can we draw in other participants in the dialogue? It is a time consuming process to read through the long line of messages and to respond within the frame of time, but the asynchronous communication allows participation at anytime convenient to the individual." 
(From our article found at home19.inet.tele.dk/susnyrop/helpful.html)

Re: Legitimate Peripheral Participation

by Paul Beaufait -
Though with her first follow-up question (Friday, 16 June 2006, 03:24 PM) Liz suggests that juxtaposing "legitimate" and "peripheral" creates a contradiction, I doubt whether she would go so far as to say "legitimate peripheral participation" is an oxymoron - at least not in Étienne's presence!

Reasons for inhabiting or populating the fringes of communities may be as numerous as populations, and as variant as world weather. To each their own.

However, Liz's third question seems to suggest that "the very act of participation" makes people "central contributor[s] to the community." It also suggests a distinction between marginal play and peripheral participation.

How about playing three words again? Where does "authentic" fit?

marginal
legitimate

marginalperipheral
central
play
participation
activity
player
participant
activist, actor

Hint: "Does 'authentic' fit?" may be a tricksy question.

While I have no problem calling "legitmate peripheral participants" just that, or simply "participants," for short; "LaPPers" might be a problem for Japanese speakers of English who readily confound their L's and R's.

Cheers, Paul

Re: Legitimate Peripheral Participation

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Sorry for the delay in responding, Susanne and Paul. I've been travelling back to Vancouver from Toronto, catching up on everything that happened in my absence...and hesitating because Susanne is looking for a "reasonable" comment from me on the topic of LPP. Ah, Susanne, my life is characterized by actions and comments that are usually considered unreasonable! But here are some thoughts...

Susanne, your article from 2002, referring to GEN is quite a treasure. I admire your filing system! Your comment: "Lurking is accepted, to read only without adding any content of your own, and the explicit welcoming is a strategy of including new members" seems to locate lurkers in the apprentice role, with the expectation that they will become master participants in due time.  The position I'm leaning towards is that we shouldn't assume that lurkers will want to participate. Many, very very many, actually, are exerting their freedom of choice to stay in the margins. To ligitimize their situation only if they take the next step and contribute is problematic for me.

Paul, I've been staring at your matrix for a while and trying to come up with something intelligent (that all can pronounce - my daughter Vivienne Wallace is in Japan and responds happily to being called Bibienne Warrace!)

Forgive me for not coming up with more words. I'm going to fall back on the argument that meaning is socially constructed, so it's not so important to use different words, as to deconstruct the words already in play:-)

So to get back to Wenger and Lave's words, in their introductory comments on  LPP on pp. 34-37 of the 1991 text state that peripherality is only a positive term if it is enabled or emplowered. It is only negative if the peripheral location is disempowered, they say -- and that's what I think we do when we use the label lurker to suggest that shadowy, unwelcome stranger.  So perhaps I'm saying that it's up to each community to consider carefully the role of lurkers and reflect on whether they are respected (empowered) or dismissed (disempowered).