How do you create OERs? Finding the balance

Re: How do you create OERs? Finding the balance

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Rachel,
I hear you. I think that people have a right to have paid jobs, and I think university systems are changing in terms of what careers will look like -- what will be needed. There needs to be structure -- but helping post-secondary teachers/ instructors feel skilled, supported, and giving them adequate training and exposure to new OER will take time. Change is happening. I started as a
T. A. in my masters program back in 1973 and I was scared that the old slide projector would get stuck. Three years ago I started teaching online in Psychology by contract -- and the experience was such a contrast -- I felt that I could really teach in the forums and facilitate learning. Also as a student, two years ago, I created a moodle course in one of my fields -- art thrapy -- not the best mind you. I put a lot of work into it and learned what not to do next time. It was a good enough experience, especially for my first. Then I collaborated with a small group and did another moodle course -- and really it was excellent and that felt like a giant step. However these courses although they can be accessed if I give people the code, are complicated to access as they are behind log ins. Next year I want to lead a Wikieducator course -- using WiZIQ -- initially introduced to me by Nellie Deutsch on Scope.

As you mention, some teachers access YouTubes as OERs. These OERs can be wonderful resources to use in classes and how they are integrated into the lesson plans may be key as collaborative discussions are important, including learner to learner sharing of other materials and expanding contexts, while making the material one's own through application.

I agree with others that one advantage of OERs is that teachers can access OER material and rework the material for their own lessons or see what others are currently developing. This is a huge advantage for teachers, but the teachers still have to take time to organize the material, know the material and present it in a form that appeals to learners with various learning styles and skills. Some teachers are concerned with balance in their lives and competition for career jobs, and getting enough students in competitive universities. These are people concerns in these economic times. Hopefully learning will continue to have educational financial support and humanistic values will actually be renewed to support our collective goodwill throughout the world -- whether that be the development of a modest OER or whether it is the leadership -- as Karen Baker talks about in her posts on this Scope.