Activity 1. Derek's Thoughts on Metacognition and this MicroCourse

Activity 1. Derek's Thoughts on Metacognition and this MicroCourse

by Derek Murray -
Number of replies: 2

Thank you for the welcome Leonne and Viviana!

I am writing to you from rainy Victoria as an uninvited guest on the traditional territories of Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples. I am slowly becoming more aware of how this place influences the way I think and how that changes when I move to a different location, with different people.

I registered for this MicroCourse because now that I have been out of school for a while (after almost 16 years as a post-secondary student) I feel a need to connect with formal learning opportunities as often as I can fit them into my schedule. I keep thinking to myself I should go back and get another degree, but this seems like a better place to start. :)

I also thought the topic looked interesting, and something out of the ordinary.

When I think of metacognition, I go back to an early ISW experience when we asked participants to start by sharing with a partner their answer to the question: "How does learning happen?" Because we had an odd number of participants, I was also prompted to reconsider that question myself. My own response went back to an experience as an upper-level undergrad, when a professor challenged me on a deeply-held belief that I had about the past. To be challenged in this way was frustrating and unsettling, but also probably one of the most powerful learning experiences of my academic career.

When I think about how learning happened for me in that experience, it was through confrontation with an idea that did not readily fit into my way of looking at the world. When I think of metacognition, I think about the ways that my mental network of ideas is structured and how it evolves. How do new ideas fit? Can I find a place for them in the existing structure? Or do I need to change the structure? As I get older, I start to wonder if the structure becomes more difficult to change? I am a historian, not a psychologist, so I don't pretend to have a great understanding of this process, but there are many cliches which do.

I find that a lot of students say things like "I am a visual learner" or "I prefer to listen to lectures" and then close themselves off to other ways of learning, especially when I am asking them to collaborate. Of course, we all have different preferences and different abilities, but we know that learning styles are malleable, not hard-wired. I want to know more about strategies that folks use for making learning processes more transparent. How can I make these processes visible to learners in my classroom, or in my workshops, so that they can then manipulate the processes to be more successful?

Also, if you are eligible, and haven't done so yet, get out and vote!

In reply to Derek Murray

Re: Activity 1. Derek's Thoughts on Metacognition and this MicroCourse

by Leonne Beebe -

Welcome, Derek,

You have many interesting thoughts in your initial reflections.  It sounds like you are in a thought-provoking "learning" transition - leaving post-secondary learning and beginning to become a life-long learner.  Your story about your impactful learning through confronting your existing thought-structures gives a powerful statement to the value of metacognition in the learning process.  This is reflected in Jonh Dewey's quote at the beginning of this course. 

"We do not learn from experience...we learn from reflecting on experience."  

One way to help your students learn and to make this process more visible is to model the learning behaviour you expect from them.  Keep on thinking about thinking and learning about learning.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Derek Murray

Re: Activity 1. Derek's Thoughts on Metacognition and this MicroCourse

by Viviana Chiorean -

Welcome Derek,

Thank you for the reminder to vote - I worked for elections yesterday and was up since 4:45 am, hence my lack of replies yesterday ;)

I can relate to your experience, I also went through a "double loop learning" process (https://vivianachiorean.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/double-loop-learning/) while completing the Provincial Instructor Diploma Program. I have a Bachelor of Science and was familiar with traditional methods until I explored more about alternate assessment strategies, learning preferences, metacognition and self-directed learning.

I believe we are life long learners and although it may be challenging to "fit" new ideas into our pre-existing framework, the first step is to acknowledge that we might need to be flexible with our "existing structure". I am not a psychologist either so I will stop here. From a scientific perspective while there are neural pathways already in place, we can always create new neural pathways, which only get stronger with repetition. 

I look forward to learning with and from you. 

Viviana