What?

What?

by Beth Cougler Blom -
Number of replies: 16

Together, let's look back on all we've done this week using - well, of course - a Liberating Structure! You might recognize these three pinned posts as What, So What, Now What? 

Please respond to our three threads in this forum in order of:

1. What?
  2. So What?
  3. Now What?
Use the Ladder of Inference image (included in each) as your guide to try to keep your responses for each thread within the constraints of the structure. The prompts in each post will guide you...

First, in this What? part of the structure we invite you to reflect on the following:

• What happened this week while you were exploring designing with LS?
  • What did you notice?
  • What facts or observations stood out to you?
Reply to this post to keep the "What?" posts contained together in one thread...screenshot of ladder of inference with W3 embedded into it

In reply to Beth Cougler Blom

Re: What?

by Rachelle McElroy -

- It encouraged me to innovate and get creative!

- I was looking forward to working on this and appreciated the supportive learning environment to 'fail forward together'!

- The framework and format for the invitation and establishing the purpose of my activity really helped to flush it out and have it come to life. 

by Terri Bateman -

What happened?

The time constraints really forced me to think fast, not overthink.

Universal and inclusive design are coming up a lot for me lately and I'm getting my head around how to use LS f2f and online and be inclusive. Some of the intro posts were good thought prompts.

The asynchronous environment changes the dynamic of a LS but I am encouraged to get creative and bend some things and play with them.

by Nancy White -

• I had to really let go and think differently about LS in asynch environment
  • Amazed at level of engagement w/ peers! YAY!
  • Wasn't quite sure about the =/- value of replies with marginalia. 
  • Heard lots of people with similar challenges. (or should I say "read"!)
  • Felt the tasks were appropriate sized
  • Read posts from a lot of smart, experienced people

by Asif Devji -
  • Woke up in the middle of the night (I think it was between Mon and Tues) with the insight that the enforced 'structures' of LS (i.e. specific questions, group sizes, time limits, sequences) actually 'liberate' conversations that would otherwise be restricted by existing hegemonic 'microstructures' in most working/learning contexts that I've experienced

• Was hit with the realization (as I read through the LS activities themselves) that what we were doing was actually participating in LS activities online and asynchronously (seems obvious now, I know...)
In reply to Asif Devji

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Woot! Woot! You've hit two nails on the head. (And I'm glad I'm not the only one who wakes up like this in the middle of the night sometimes!)

The Microstructures and Design page, again, is an interesting read on the LS website. It says that EVERYTHING we do has microstructures in it. And often we don't think about/realize what those are. With LS we are given the opportunity to think intentionally about microstructures and built into them are ways to a) include everyone in the room and b) share control. For me, this graphic on that page says SO much:

screenshot of photo from LS website about inclusion/control axis

And yes, Leva and I were originally going to tell everyone what structures we were doing as we were doing them but with a little help from some LS "birdies" we decided not to...I love that it came to you like a lightning bolt!

by Jane Maxwell -

• I experienced (and enjoyed) my first FLO-micro
  • I saw first-hand how LS can be applied to the online, asynchronous environment
  • I had rich online interactions with a group of people with varying levels of prior LS experience
  • I wasn't able to find an LS that fit my original activity/goal of developing a self-situating activity :(
  • I got a bit lost in the LS menu, but emerged with some exciting new ideas :)
  • I developed initial plans for an LS-based activity that I think will add a lot to our team's Course Design Intensive workshop.

by Keira McPhee -

I

What happened this week while you were exploring designing with LS?What did you notice?What facts or observations stood out to you?
  • I enjoyed playing with using an LS as a framework that contained other LS within it (Purpose to Practice as the framework)
  • Witnessed the power of learning facilitation together, which I'll take back to the community of practice of network coordinators (many of whom don't identify as faciltators but who are all doing in their role.)
  • I want to work on those one sentence invitations that clearly articulate the purpose.

by Beth Wilson -

I began to see so many possibilities for LS  - both at work and a volunteer role I have, but I found it a bit tricky at first to narrow it down to one situation I want to apply LS too. Once I had a clear goal in mind it was a bit easier.

by Susan Glynn-Morris -

• I appreciated participating in LS activities in an online asynchronous environment - it is possible!
  • I was somewhat overwhelmed with the number of LS
  • I explored a number of different LS both through the LS website & the activities proposed by my peers
  • I created a LS activity and got helpful feedback 
  • I read a lot of creative and thoughtful insights of other participants
  • I felt supported and encouraged by my group!

by Michelle Laurie -

• I experienced an online facilitated course over one week (one of my first like this). 
  • I struggled to keep up with the daily check in/ work however I was impressed at the amount of participation as well as depth by others. 
  • I got inspired by the interest of others in LS and seeing/reading how it is being applied in real situations (thank you!)
  • I planned a session using LS for a meeting I have coming up. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing so openly! 

by Erin Beattie -

• What happened this week while you were exploring designing with LS? I found myself having to read the steps and activities many, many times whilst scratching my head. 
  • What did you notice? By Thursday night, I finally had an Ah-ha moment where I started to truly understand WHAT Liberating Structures are and how to work through the Matchmaker document to pull out the right one or ones for any situtation, meeting, or session. 
  • What facts or observations stood out to you? Time to process is helpful. 

by Meg Walker -
What happened this week while you were exploring designing with LS?
  • I've read about LS before and chose this course as a way to push trying it out to the top of my to-do list
  • It took a while to choose which scenario to focus on, in the step before choosing an LS
  • I was pleased to join in an online course that's larger than any I've taught, and to see dynamics in that kind of flow
  • I wanted more time to research things, ha! Typical for me. And glad to take a compressed course so I couldn't hyper-research, but move right into the doing.
What did you notice?
  • Some impatience with trying to figure out which LS to apply to my scenario, and then excitement as I figured out that several could be used (as expected on both counts)
  • Renewed energy around wishing to keep the synchronous elements in the online courses I teach
  • Thoughtful, engaged interactions with so many other leaders and learners
What facts or observations stood out to you?
  • I read many of the other proposals/LS outlines in the other groups, and that reinforced for me how I learn by "seeing" things in action. I appreciate that the fora were set up so that we could see threads in groups other than our own.
  • Also - that putting an LS together can be done quite quickly or more slowly, so it's good to know I can "grab" one with little prep time OR work one out in more detail, depending how much prep time I have.
  • And on that note, realizing/seeing that some LS can be done very "lightly" to freshen up the energy in a group meeting/exchange.

by Donna DesBiens -

Hello Beth, Leva and all,

What happened?  

I drafted an activity that I'll be able to use in an upcoming course once I've revised it with the very helpful feedback I received. 

Doing this helped me better understand the HSR structure I chose to work with and the feedback I received helped me clarify & integrate my facilitation intentions. 

I also developed a better understanding of LS overall by participating in the course activities and reflecting on co-participant perspectives and contributions. 

Some things I noticed 

I really enjoyed the meta-level of learning of how LS can be done online by participating it the various experiential activities during the week.  Am going to work on modelling this in my own courses. 

Also, appreciated that activities were so well chunked and sequenced that it felt manageable to actually get an activity drafted during a week where I had to be very Zen about time management. 

Thanks for a great learning experience! Donna

by Sylvia Bell -

What happened this week for me? 

As I learn more about LS I find the structures fascinating ways of letting people share their thinking.

Being connected to other learners is helpful. And lucky for me, my team was quite a bit further down the path than me, so I was blessed.

My gmail exploded. Is that normal?

In reply to Sylvia Bell

by Reynaldo Chang -

This week has been an eye-opener for me. It has provided me with incremental tools to enhance teaching and learning. I ended up closely monitoring my email regularly throughout the week. What a blast!

I noticed the immeasurable value of networking that one can create through the online environment. This can be through synchronous or asynchronous methods. The expertise available out there, if tapped properly, can mean that we all can be effective teachers, and learners, too. 

One thing that stood out is the high level of sharing, selflessness, and camaraderie created through this course. The rubrics provided an excellent tool for maintaining respectful, positive, and mutually reinforcing space for knowledge creation. Kudos goes to facilitators and developers of this course.

In reply to Sylvia Bell

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

About your Gmail...I use the power of subscribing and non-subscribing to forums to keep myself sane. In the beginning of a course (or the beginning of when we're starting to use a particular forum) I like to subscribe to remind myself that the forum discussion has started. But soon I unsubscribe because I can't take the amount of emails and also I can't see any of the individual emails in context. Then I just have to remember to check into the course often to keep catching up.

We find our ways of organizing, hey? I hope going to group work on Wednesday lightened the load a little for you. (That's another strategy!)

;-)