Terri's LS activity

Terri's LS activity

by Terri Bateman -
Number of replies: 4

Again, sorry to be late to the party.

My role is 'distributed learning facilitator' but I've spent a lot of time as an Instructional Designer. One of the things I enjoy most is working with instructors on creating engaging online courses. I'm working with someone right now who is new to online learning and was looking for a checklist. This led me think to think of creative ways to teach a group of instructors (online ) about what makes a good online course.

So, my activity is TRIZ.

I would use a wiki and have people contribute (I think I would give them 3 days) their thoughts on how you could create the most baffling online course for students to ensure they would never get through it.  I will work on the invitation - clarifying that I'm not talking about difficult content, but rather things like navigation, instructions, etc. I would come up with the 'unwanted result' rather than have the group do a 1-2-4 all.

After the three days, as a group, I'd have them read through all the ideas and  create the list of all the things we could do to achieve the worst online course. Then I would  ask - Which of these things are actually happening in our online courses? Are we doing some of these and hadn't noticed? Continue in the wiki with the responses and then a discussion forum where individuals share which practices that were contributing to poor course design they will stop doing.

I think I could also tack on a 15% solutions - what one thing can you do without asking for money or permission - to improve your online course? It would be nice to see all the answers in one place so maybe back to the wiki for that?

I think this could be handled in one week of a course and could scale by using groups if the class is large. I would likely do a wrap-up at the end of the week.

In reply to Terri Bateman

Re: Terri's LS activity

by Sylvia Bell -

Hi Donna,

Getting instructors to share disasters could be a fun way to shift the thinking away from creating perfection (which we all know rarely happens anyway). With this activity, it allows participants to think of online instructing in new ways. And in that way, it reveals what not to do.

The timelines seem realistic for asynchronous, not-for-credit work, but I'm not an expert on that. 

I agree that having a wiki for solutions would be a great resource.

It's a thumbs-up from me!

Cheers, Sylvia

In reply to Sylvia Bell

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Sylvia and Terri,

It's now 9:15 pm and I just got a dinner call from my husband who has prepared a Mexican feast so will return with thoughtful feedback on Terri's activity first thing in the morning. Thank heavens for flex days!

Till then I'll just say what a great idea it is to use TRIZ for helping instructors new to online learning.  This LS is so much fun. I think it would help people relax into the spirit of learning a new delivery modality  - instead of getting anxious about memorizing a zillion 'to do' things. 

Cheerio, Donna

In reply to Donna DesBiens

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Sylvia, 

On reflection, I still really like the idea of adding humour and imagination to learning about online course organization.  

However, as participants are new to designing online courses, I wonder if they might need a few 'baffle course' examples to get started.  These could be constructed examples vs actual courses to avoid shaming anyone and maybe could be just pieces of courses to make it doable - e.g. course outlines / assignments / schedules with missing chunks; a content dump of ppts, pdfs etc., and/or wild navigation.   Of course, if they have ever facilitated a problematic online course or taken one as a student, they can bring in examples from those.

I think Terri's idea of using wikis/forums for the 1, 2, 4, aspect of TRIZ could work. It might also be fun to bring people together in a short Collaborate session to share their 'disaster' ideas.  That's one of the parts of TRIZ that I get a kick out of in f2f - the laughter is catchy and kind of bonding.  

I also like the idea of stringing the 15% solution LS to this activity to invite and share ideas for manageable improvements. Again, if participants are novices they may need some good design examples. 

Warm regards, Donna

In reply to Donna DesBiens

by Terri Bateman -

Thank you both for the thoughtful feedback. I don't have a training course set up for instructors at the moment but its' something I've been thinking about. I've got a few new ideas now and also things to suggest to instructors that I work with for their own courses.

I enjoyed this activity. Thanks again.

Terri