Rachelle's LS Activity

Rachelle's LS Activity

by Rachelle McElroy -
Number of replies: 8

Hello Faith and Meg,

Look forward to reading your contributions in the morning ;-)

Scenerio

I will be using this activity during the first day of the three-week course (face to face) on Data Visualization, Analysis, and Reporting, part of the Royal Roads University eight-month Cultural and Natural Resources Assessment Certificate program delivered on the Haisla reserve to Haisla students. Class size is 15 students. 

The topic of the first day is "introduction to technical writing and critical thinking". The first assignment is 'Think Aloud Strategy' (in pairs). 

---About Assignment 1: 'Think Aloud Strategy'----

The goal of Think Alouds: Modeling Ways to Think About Text is to model effective strategies before, during and after reading in order to help students improve essential skills in comprehension.

In this assignment, using a “think – paired – share” classroom strategy, students will monitor their comprehension of a case study on the Northern Gateway Pipeline. 

-----

Following this assignment, at the end of the day, to deepen the learning, and offer reflection I will be using the "What, So What, Now What?" LS.

-----

1.    a structuring invitation 

After diving deep into a new way of constructing meaning from text using a ‘Think Aloud Strategy’, what was your experience of the Northern Gateway Pipeline Issue?

2.    how the space is arranged and what materials are needed 

• Tables are organized in a U shape facing the presenter, chairs are on both sides (3 on the outside and 2 on the out inside. 
  • Paper on each table to make lists
  • Flip chart paper to collect answers

3.     how participation is distributed 

• Everyone is included
  • Everyone has an equal opportunity to contribute at each table
  • Elect a facilitator to have everybody working on one question at a time

4.     how groups are configured

• Individuals
  • Three groups of 5
  • Whole group
  • Groups are established teams

5.     a sequence of steps and time allocation 

• The debrief will occur with students in their ‘team’ groups of 5 participants.
  • First stage: WHAT? Individuals work 1 min. alone on “What happened? What did you notice, what facts or observations stood out?” then 2–7 min. in small group. 3–8 min. total.
  • Salient facts from small groups are shared with the whole group and collected. 2–3 min.
  • If needed, remind participants about what is included in the SO WHAT? question.
  • Second stage: SO WHAT? People work 1 min alone on “Why is that important? What patterns or conclusions are emerging? What hypotheses can I/we make?” then 2–7 min. in small group. 3–8 min. total.
  • Salient patterns, hypotheses, and conclusions from small groups are shared with the whole group and collected. 2–5 min.
  • Third stage: NOW WHAT? Participants work 1 min. alone on “Now what? What actions make sense?” then 2–7 min. in a small group. 3–8 min. total.
  • Actions are shared with the whole group, discussed and collected. Additional insights are invited. 2–10 min.

Why? Purpose:

Together reflect on the Northern Gateway Pipeline Issue and notice what new learning has been revealed from using a ‘Think Aloud Strategy’? Think of new perspectives, new questions, critical elements, ways of presenting arguments and how this new lens can be used to inform the review of other LNG projects going forward.

In reply to Rachelle McElroy

Re: Rachelle's LS Activity

by Faith Whiting -

Hi Rachelle, 

I've put a few comments in the margins above. I've tried to put myself into a participants's shoes in your scenario, with my purpose in mind - to reflect on the Northern Gateway Pipeline Issue and notice what new learning has been revealed from using a 'Think Aloud Strategy.' 

I like the dual purpose of this activity. I appreciate that as a participant, I'm modeling how things happen for me before/during/after reading a case study and I imagine it would be very interesting to see what happens for others in the room while engaging in the same process. Will we realize the limitations of our own perspectives? Will we draw out much more information while in collaboration? Will we learn from each other some strategies for comprehension of written materials? I like that at the same time, I am reflecting on the issue at hand, based on the case study.

I would love to be a fly on the wall to watch this activity happen! It seems like this format will truly engage everyone in the room in the discussion, while building those essential skills you mention through the 'think aloud' activity. Well done!

If you need a guinea pig to run through this activity, let me know. I feel like I'm SO much more effective in providing feedback on something after I've actually experienced it. I'm having a tough time envisioning the first part of the activity but I think it's because it needs to be experienced (and it wasn't relevant for these purposes to include all of that information). You've done a great job creating an engaging session and the topic/setting seems so exciting!

In reply to Faith Whiting

by Rachelle McElroy -

Thank you, Faith, for taking the time to provide such thoughtful comments and feedback - I am drinking them up!

I'm taking note of the need for more information about the "Think Aloud Strategy" in my invitation.  I think it is a good idea to flush it out using the 5 principles to help make it clearer and then link to the W3. I will totally run this activity by you once I've flushed it out.  What is your email?

I appreciate how you have flushed out the impact (before/during and after) this activity might have on individuals and the group, and essential skills.

Thank you!

Rachelle

by Faith Whiting -

fwhiting@yukoncollege.yk.ca - I'd love to stay in touch over the next little while and hear how your project goes. I can tell you a bit about mine too - sounds like we share the commonality of working with First Nation governments and communities (such a wonderful thing to have in common).

by Meg Walker -

Hi Rachelle,

This pairing of activities is so well thought through, what a great read! Like Faith, I find myself curious about the parts that are not LS - you're a good writer, getting our interest piqued :-) I think the timely and geographically pertinent choice of using a case study about the Northern Gateway Pipeline will have your participants ready to jump in.

I do wonder about the time allocations. I see that you're pulling this from the LS "menu" but I am often in groups where one minute to gather thoughts, make observations, comment, etc., is really beneficial only to those who are used to gathering and sharing thoughts quickly and verbally. Would it be more useful for participants to have a little longer to work on, for example, the "What makes sense now?" question? Or is the rapid nature of the LS meant to act as a structure that surfaces the most intuitive responses - ones that aren't overthought? This question is for all of us in our lesson/activity plans, but has surfaced for me here as I read your description.

The direct linkage between theory and practice in the lesson you're proposing is so inspiring. 

In reply to Meg Walker

by Rachelle McElroy -

Thank you, Meg, for your feedback and comments, I can't wait to try it now, I'm so pumped! I appreciate you noticing the case study I have chosen is relevant and a HOT topic in Kitimat, it should get juicy!

Excellent point about TIME!  Good eye, I did grab the time outlined in the menu for this LS and will have to extend it because even though the groups are established, it is a first-day activity. 

Wow, this activity has been so useful, it definitely helps to take away the jitters of trying something new.

Warmly,

Rachelle

by Meg Walker -

I'd also love to see/learn more about the "Think Aloud Strategy" - it sounds intriguing. And wow yes I figured the pipeline would be a hot topic and I'm going to guess the students will jump in pretty quickly!

Speaking of Kitimat, I've just finished reading the first two books in Eden Robinson's Son of a Trickster trilogy (she is still writing the third one, the suspense is killing me). The first book is set in Kitimat, and the second in Vancouver. Besides appreciating her amazing, rich humour, I've so appreciated her books because of what she shares about Heiltsuk culuture. Speaking of different ways of learning ... 

In reply to Meg Walker

by Rachelle McElroy -

Hello Meg,

Here is a link to "Think Alouds Strategy" for more information on how it works for children, I've scaled it up for adult learners by selecting higher level reading material (e.g. Northern Gateway Pipeline Case Study). 

http://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/think_alouds

I used this assignment last year when I was teaching the Kitselas First Nations (near Terrace) students, however, to be honest, it didn't work as well as I had hoped.  And, few students actually were aware of this issue.  

I'm excited to sharpen-up and 'punctuate' this activity because it provides an experience of reading for comprehension and introduces items of technical reporting including citations, opinions, facts and formatting, and critical thinking skills.  

Thank you for introducing me to Eden Robinson, I'm going to check out her books!

Rachelle

by Meg Walker -

Hi Rachelle,

Thanks so much for that link, and for more information about the course/framework in which you're teaching. It sounds full-on! I would also love to hear how the facilitation and discussion goes, if you're willing to share, as many of my students are First Nations citizens and are on the very interesting path of figuring out how much - or how little - they wish to be involved with their nation's governing structure. 

Also I'd love to hear about how you scaled up the thinking aloud structure for adults. I'm such a writer - an internal thinker - that as I read through the instructions, I feel it would be awkward for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to give it a try and see what it's like - but I definitely find it easier to hone in on the most important thoughts when I'm writing, as opposed to the multiple connections that flow into my mind when I'm talking out loud. Hmm.

My email is mwalker@yukoncollege.yk.ca

Glad you're intrigued by my reference to Eden Robinson. Her first novel, Monkey Beach, is a standalone and is also set in Kitimaat (the spelling she uses). 

Have a great week,

Meg