Fun strategies for flipped classrooms in First Nations communities

Fun strategies for flipped classrooms in First Nations communities

by Rachelle McElroy -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, LS learning community,

I'm excited to learn more activities to incorporate into a first-year university course refresh. I'll be teaching a three-week face to face course to a groups of Haisla FN students on reserve in Northwestern BC. Students come from diverse education, experience, age, motivation, and backgrounds.  What inspires me about using 'Liberating structures' in the classroom are words like an ecosystem, participation, inclusion, and fun! 

BIG QUESTION and BIG HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOAL:

- Where to incorporate what Liberating Structure and when? (in reference to my Data Visualization, Analysis, and Reporting course refresh).

Warmly,

Rachelle

In reply to Rachelle McElroy

Re: Fun strategies for flipped classrooms in First Nations communities

by Nancy White -

oooh what a juicy opportunity. In your course, do you deal with issues of complexity in Data Visualization etc? I've used Ecocycle to help students (and others) discern what parts of their work/tasks are super clear, which are clear but no longer useful, where new insights are needed and where to test ideas for viability. One could map one's learning (or even the emerging threads of a curriculum) on an Ecocycle and then use that to track progress/movement/growth. 

In reply to Nancy White

by Rachelle McElroy -

Very interesting Nancy, I appreciate your ideas!

I'm just getting familiar with the LS and I'm going to take this opportunity to explore more of where you are going with Ecocycle LS.

I'm curious to get a clearer glimpse and play with Ecocycle LS to deal with or map complexity in Data Visualization - thank you.

Rachelle

In reply to Rachelle McElroy

by Nancy White -

Holler if you want to "talk" more -- I'm worried that I'm posting too much in here! LOL!

In reply to Nancy White

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Don't worry about a thing Nancy! It's great!

In reply to Nancy White

by Leva Lee -

We love your enthusiasm Nancy!