Hello from Vancouver

Hello from Vancouver

by Reynaldo Chang -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I am currently an instructor in post-secondary institutions in British Columbia. 

How do liberating structures impact on teaching and learning?

As I explored the contents of this course, I felt a little overwhelmed yet excited to explore the different principles, framework, pedagogy, methods, processes, and impact of liberating outcome on learning and teaching. As a course designer, developer and instructor, the process for continuous improvement seems limitless. 

I am looking forward to a productive week in this course.

In reply to Reynaldo Chang

Re: Hello from Vancouver

by Meg Walker -

Hi Reynaldo,

I am also feeling a little overwhelmed, but mostly in a good way, with all the thoughtful processes, pedagogies, frameworks and plain old interesting conversation that is already going on here! Thanks for being willing to name that feeling, I felt better reading your note.

Your statement here resonates, too:

As a course designer, developer and instructor, the process for continuous improvement seems limitless. 

★☆ Agreed ☆★. This is what I return to when I become worn out at the end of a semester - well said.

Meg

In reply to Meg Walker

by Reynaldo Chang -

Hi Meg,

I share your sentiment and would tend to view it as part of the learning curve. Since we deal with different sets of learners in our profession, it would be imperative for us at some point to step back, reflect, and also empathize with our learners as we continue honing our craft.

Part of our job in teaching and learning is to understand the different background, perspectives, and learning styles of our learners. That, in itself, applies to us now as participants of this MicroCourse. It's a fantastic opportunity for role-reversal in a positive, respective environment conducive for learning.

This makes our profession noble because each one of us will bring in our unique sets of authenticity in the learning process.

Would love to pursue further conversation with you during the course.

by Meg Walker -

Reynaldo, I like your term "craft" for teaching/facilitating. It takes the skill in a less-hierarchical direction for me, immediately.

It's a good start to an interesting week!

by Jane Maxwell -

Hi Reynaldo,

Your question was a welcome reminder to consider the learning experience when teaching with Liberating Structures.  I'm very curious to hear reflections from learners/students about their experience with LS and how it differs from other teaching strategies.  What benefits do learners see in these strategies, and how do these benefits compare to those identified by teachers?

Thanks for sparking these ideas.  :)

In reply to Jane Maxwell

by Reynaldo Chang -

Hi Jane,

Thank you for connecting and responding to my post.

One of the things that I realized when I was reading the rich literature provided in this course is that some, if not, most of us, has been using LS, or part of it, without realizing it's called LS.

From my experience, LS produces an amazing impact on complex problem skills, critical thinking, mindfulness, and ability to work with teams. More fundamentally, LS improves learner engagement, by giving them the responsibility to set the pace of their learning.  I didn't even realize these are some of the skills needed by our learners to succeed in 2020.

More importantly, LS also enhances educator in the way we engage our learners in the overall learning process. Educators, curriculum designers, and developers can now focus on more fundamental opportunities for improving the learning experience.

Would love to hear from the wisdom of experience of the other participants. 

by Michelle Laurie -

Hi Reynaldo and others, 

I'm really curious to see how you feel after the week and what pointers you have to help bring others along on the journey in the future. I love LS and see the benefit but am hoping to gain ideas on how to promote its usefulness and ease of use with others who are harder to convince. 

Let the journey begin! 

Michelle

In reply to Michelle Laurie

by Reynaldo Chang -

Hi Michelle,

What a coincidence. I teach various business-related courses, including sustainability in business and business innovation, among others.

I am confident that like-minded curious minds, once joined together, will produce amazing learning opportunities. I found some of the LS principles particularly useful in sustainability and innovation.

Would love to pursue this conversation during the week.

Paraphrasing what you've said, let the co-learning journey begin!

Rey