day 1

day 1

by Beth Wilson -
Number of replies: 6

• What big question do you have about Liberating Structures as we begin our time together?

How can I use Liberating Structures to increase participant engagement in the workshops I facilitate? I work for an agency that supports people who have developmental disabilities.  I co-facilitate a 3 part workshop for staff on how to ensure we deliver person centred and person directed services, how we get along within our teams, and with families of the people we support. 

• What do you hope to get from and give this group this week?

I hope to give and receive ideas and feedback. I hope to increase my knowledge and skills.

In reply to Beth Wilson

Re: day 1

by Susan Glynn-Morris -

Hi Beth

From how you describe your work (person-centered, team work, supporting families) it sounds like LS will be a great way to engage workshop participants and encourage them to share their stories/learn from one another. I will be curious to see what LS you choose this week. 

Sue

In reply to Beth Wilson

by Beth Cougler Blom -

From one Beth to another...hello! And welcome.

LS are SO relevant in community organizations! I spend time working with non-profits/community/health organizations as well as post-secondary environments and use the structures in all sectors. And perhaps LS can even help people think more about person-centred care because they allow us to share control and include everyone in the room. So they are not "top down" structures. I think you'll find something of value here.

In reply to Beth Wilson

by Reynaldo Chang -

Hi Beth,

I am glad that you raised the question regarding participant engagement and liberating structures, specially for learners with developmental challenges.  

From my experience dealing with participants with learning challenges, it can be quite daunting, but it's all worth the hard work and effort when you see your participants succeed in the course and/or program. Very rewarding indeed.

In reply to Beth Wilson

by Nancy White -

Hey Beth, here in Washington State we have been introducing LS in the Person Centered Planning workshops which include providers, people with developmental differences, families and community members. I can testify that the LS used went VERY well and now some of them are embedded in the network's working practices. I can connect you with the woman who is currently stewarding the network here, Lisa Latchford, if you are interested. Somewhere I even have pictures. Hm, some Shift and Share and  Ecocycle pictures in this album. And social network webbing at the end of the set. Just a sample. Holler if you want to see more. It was so life-affirming to see this community blossom EVEN MORE when they moved out of traditional "speaker from the front" meeting styles and really tapped into the community knowledge. 

In reply to Nancy White

by Beth Wilson -

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited at the possibilities that LS can bring to our current processes. I would love to connect with Lisa Latchford, and would appreciate if you could help with that. Thanks so much.