LS in a blended, FN and rural (Northern) environment

LS in a blended, FN and rural (Northern) environment

by Faith Whiting -
Number of replies: 16

Hi Everyone, 

I am currently working to develop five courses in a new certificate program at Yukon College. These courses will be delivered in a blended distance format - with 1.5 hours of video-conferenced meeting time, and 1.5 hours of online interaction per week, over a term.

Big Question(s)

I wonder how I can enhance the learning experience for students by implementing Liberating Structures into both the video-conferenced and the online asynchronous parts of each course. 

The majority of the learners in the program will be First Nation citizens, working in rural First Nation communities, so I also wonder if there are certain Learning Structures that support a First Nation learning context and spirit more so than others.

Give and Take

I'm not sure I have much to give in terms of expertise around LS but I have been a Curriculum Developer and Instructor working with adult learners in the North for 13 years. Much of this time I have spent working with vulnerable adult learners, (who've generally had less-than wonderful education experiences throughout life), and First Nation learners. 

I'd love to walk away from this experience with some concrete examples of how LS can be implemented - it sounds like I just might!

In reply to Faith Whiting

Re: LS in a blended, FN and rural (Northern) environment

by Asif Devji -

Hi Faith -- this is really interesting to me: The majority of the learners in the program will be First Nation citizens, working in rural First Nation communities, so I also wonder if there are certain Learning Structures that support a First Nation learning context and spirit more so than others.

A question in response (and please forgive me -- I know I'm grouping together multiple different experiences under the monolithic term 'First Nation'): Are you aware of any First Nation-based facilitation techniques that replicate/echo/contrast with (the logic of) Liberating Structures activities? Thanks.

In reply to Asif Devji

by Faith Whiting -

Hi Asif,

I must admit, I am new to Liberating Structures so I may not be able to answer this question - it's one I hope to explore though! From the heart (and not an academic reference), I would look for LS that incorporate story-telling, are non-competitive and offer equality of participation (including that of the facilitator), incorporate good listening practice, are orally-based, something that taps into broader thinking and allows for multiple connections to be made, something that can move slowly and give people time, something that draws out and values life experience. I'm not sure I'm articulating why these things feel more culturally-specific to First Nation learners (shouldn't we all want to incorporate these things in our activities?) I mean, yes - drawing from FN ways of knowing and being can benefit everyone in the classroom but why does it feel like we're not there yet? Is it more about the parameters around the activity and less about the activity? I'm not sure. At this point, I (wonderfully) have more questions than answers and only gut feelings and a bit of experience (filtered through my own world-view) as a starting point. Thanks for the prompt. Maybe we should re-visit this at the end of the week.

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Hi Faith,

It's great to hear a little about you and where you're looking to integrate Liberating Structures and with whom.

One thing that comes to mind is that at least one (and probably more) of the LS activities integrates a form of circle practice, so that might interest you and your learners. (Check out Conversation Cafe.) But LS also have room for "riffs and variations" in each structure so I'd be curious to see what your and other's ideas might be, how you might think about varying or revising them to incorporate indigenous ways of knowing and being.

Beth

In reply to Beth Cougler Blom

by Faith Whiting -

Thank-you Beth. It feels a little overwhelming filtering through the "menu" for the first time. I really appreciate the suggestion for a starting place.

by Doug Strable -

Hello Faith, 

Oh, you have an exciting challenge to engage First Nations learners in an online course!  I mentioned in my reply to Bettie, my most engaging online class are when:  

a) the first week's assignment was to find items that explain our personally, 
b) the instructor also participates as a student.
c) the activities are relatable to my environment. The first posting in both these classes was the instructors answer to the question!

I understand telling stories, and the natural environment is important to people with First Nations cultural background.  How about designing the first week's assignment asking which animal best describes them and draw, scan, a picture? This type of activity might be close to the "User Experience Fishbowl" in the LS list? 

I would very much like to hear the reaction. 

In reply to Doug Strable

by Nancy White -

Ecocycle may also be something useful, though it took me a while to grasp and fully use it. Now it is one of my favorites. Somehow it has echoes of Four Directions and certainly looks at things from a systemic vs atomistic perspective. This may be a potential cultural bridge. In a classroom, for example, we've used Ecocycle to assess current state of understanding of a subject or at a personal level one's use/practice of the domain being studied.

There is another visual LS in development called Spiral Journal. I'm looking for a good link for that. Oh, found it!  https://trello.com/c/5LxzefeS/371-spiral-journal-10 - a super reflection tool that works both with those who prefer a slower, more personal activity and energetic, extroverted learners. Something calming. It comes out of Lynda Barry's work. I think @Beth recently was writing about it!

In reply to Nancy White

by Faith Whiting -

Thank-you so much Nancy for your recommendations. As I mentioned to Beth, it's overwhelming to start with the big menu and I very much appreciate the suggestions! Now I feel like I have somewhere to start from.

In reply to Nancy White

by Beth Cougler Blom -

I'm reading Lynda Barry's Syllabus book right now and I'm LOVING it. Every page is an adventure. Nancy, the Drawing Monsters that we co-facilitated together in 2017 as part of the immersion came from that book too, right? So Spiral Journal and Drawing Monsters are not part of the "set of 33" Liberating Structures but emerging as ones in development/punctuations. (Note: Not sure how to exact define what a "punctuation" is other than to say that it's a small process in between two big processes!) Someone else could add on here if you can explain more.

by Nancy White -

Correct, they both were inspired by Lynda Barry and are LS in development or little linking things we call "punctuation" and not yet documented on the site or in the book. A punctuation, to me, is a linking or pause device between LS. A space to breath. Reflect. Move the body. Rest.

In reply to Doug Strable

by Faith Whiting -

Ha! I value that you see what an "exciting challenge" I have before me, Doug. It definitely is that! The beauty of it is the distance model comes from the fact that many of the program participants are working in their home communities. By offering programming by distance, we can keep people at home doing the good work, and strive to increase capacity within their roles, through providing learning opportunities. It will be challenging though!

One of the ways we've tried to make things better is by having everyone start the program with one week of face-to-face programming - to build relationships and share some community time together, before we are virtually connected. One of the first assignments is to tell our personal stories through artifacts, the written word, art, or simply around the fire. I've tried to incorporate the option of video-response into online assignments wherever possible too - to keep that oral response option open to people. I find it can feel more comfortable than writing sometimes.

You've astutely raised other important points with b) and c). I've learned my single most-important tool in cross-cultural contexts is humility. Everyone has something to teach, and everyone has something to learn. Some of this stems from our differences - so relating concepts to our own lives and contexts brings about that rich learning for everyone.

by Reynaldo Chang -

Hi Beth,

It's a pleasure to e-meet you here. I am happy to note that you're doing work for First Nations. This is something that I am seriously pursuing, too, as part of my integration process.

I would like to pursue this conversation as we go along the course during this week.

In reply to Reynaldo Chang

by Beth Cougler Blom -

Hi Reynaldo,

Great to see you here! I think it was Faith that you were posting to, about her experience with First Nations cultures. Although I look forward to pursuing conversations with you too!

Beth

by Reynaldo Chang -

Nice catch, Beth. It was really intended for Faith.

I was looking at different windows excitingly exploring the various literatures on Liberating Structures. 

Would love to hear from the wisdom of your experience, Faith, Beth, and the rest of the participants. 

In reply to Reynaldo Chang

by Faith Whiting -

Lovely to meet you as well Reynaldo. I'm also looking forward to conversations that arise from our explorations this week!

by Rachelle McElroy -

Faith and everyone that has contributed to this thread...what thoughtful collaboration!

Day one and already on my way of meeting my Big Hairy Audacious Goal that is similar to yours Faith...concrete examples of how LS can be implemented...and adding in the context of vulnerable adults.

Rachelle

by Leva Lee -

Hi Faith 

You really touched on an area of interest with this group. I'm thinking Appreciative Interviews might also be a structure to look at the focuses on telling stories of success and honing our listening skills as we retell the story and together identify root causes of success. It's a good LS to focus students on positive stories and possibility.