Louise's Acknowledgement

Louise's Acknowledgement

by Louise Reid -
Number of replies: 1

My self-location and acknowlegement statement:

• I would like to acknowledge that I am a visitor on the traditional and unceded lands of the Coast Salish peoples. My ancestors came from England, Scotland and Ireland seeking better lives. I thank, in particular, the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), səl̓ilwətaɁɬ təməxʷ (Tsleil-Waututh), Skwxwú7mesh-ulh Temíx̱w (Squamish), and S’ólh Téméxw (Stó:lō) peoples for the opportunity to live, work and play on their traditional lands.
  • Here at Langara College we are honoured to have been gifted the name snəw̓eyəɬ leləm̓ meaning ‘house of teachings’ by the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam) people.
  • And, as a member of Langara Library's Intercultural Working Group I hope to learn about and work to strengthen the connections between the Musqueam people and the multi-cultural staff and students at the library.

My reasoning:

First, I tried to situate myself, as a visitor and where I come from, on the traditional lands; Second, I acknowledged the gift of the Musqueam name for Langara College where I work; and Third, I am trying to articulate my intention as a member of the recently-created Intercultural Working Group at Langara Library. I think this acknowledgement could be shortened/lengthened depending on circumstance. 

I found the additional following sources helpful:

In reply to Louise Reid

Re: Louise's Acknowledgement

by Nancy White -

Louise, thanks for sharing the additional resources. I appreciate how you and others have not only shared your acknowledgment, but the intentions behind them. I now understand there are many intentions behind our acknowledgement. 

Thanks

Nancy