Just wondering how I'll use my acknowledgement

Just wondering how I'll use my acknowledgement

by Tim Conklin -
Number of replies: 4

As a program assistant in my department, I rarely get the opportunity to open an event or conduce a course.  Yet I know awareness need to be raise on my campus about whose land we're on.  So here's what I'm thinking.  Let me know how this flies with you . . .  I'd welcome your feedback and input.

I have a nice office door (it's usually open when I'm in the office).  I'm thinking to put my nicely crafted acknowledgement on my door.  It would be my hope that it will catch people's attention and they'll ask me about it.  I hope that it will provide a springboard for many conversations.

What do y'all think -- does this seem like a way to sort of continue the conversation?

In reply to Tim Conklin

Re: Just wondering how I'll use my acknowledgement

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Timothy, 

I think this is a great idea - what a good way to invite conversations about this important step on the reconciliation and relationship building learning path. 

I wonder if having a little list of recommended resources to hand might also be helpful to share with people who come in for conversations.  I'm guessing you probably are there to provide services to students as well as faculty?   I also wonder if other people in your department might want to post their own acknowledgements - or would a gallery or bulletin board share be too much? 

In reply to Tim Conklin

by Jennifer Englund -

Hi Timothy,

What I really liked about your question is how it got me thinking about other ways to use our acknowledgements.

I'm also curious if an email signature would be appropriate. The part that's giving me pause on this though (as I type this out here and playing devil's advocate with what I just wrote) is that we have been learning how to personalize our acknowledgements about this week. I wonder if something as short as the content of an email signature might not do justice to this topic. 

I have my pronouns in my signature, along with a link to an article about why pronouns matter, which is part of what got me thinking about this aspect. I haven't yet posted my acknowledgement (on the way to do that now) but I do recall a few folks had beautifully worded statements that were short, so maybe this would be something to consider. ?? Not sure if anyone else might be reading this still, if so, I would greatly welcome your thoughts.

In reply to Jennifer Englund

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Jennifer,

Many of us at Royal Roads add this statement as the final line in our email signature:  Traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lkwungen (Songhees) families.  For me, it's an act of recognition that I hope will also raise awareness among my email recipients, most of whom are also involved in higher education in various roles.  I've also noticed similar statements at the close of our BCcampus colleagues' emails. 

In reply to Tim Conklin

by Dianne Biin -

I suggest working with your Indigenous education department. Signage is pretty awesome and it might serve the entire institution rather than your office. At Camosun this was started a few years ago from a faculty request for signage in their classroom. We built a poster that could be in classrooms, offices, and public spaces across the college on both campuses.  I still see the signs in some of the classrooms but many offices (counselling services, ancillary, executive) still have signage.