Maureen's Acknowledgement

Maureen's Acknowledgement

by Maureen Glynn -
Number of replies: 3

Greetings,

My name is Maureen Glynn and I am a fourth generation settler of Irish descent. I spent my young life growing up in the area of Treaty 13 (Toronto Purchase) which includes traditional territories of the Wendat, Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nations, and the Métis Nation.  

I subsequently re-located to study at McGill University which is situated on the traditional territory of the Kanien’keha:ka.

After my studies, I returned to work and raise my family in the area of the Williams Treaties/Johnson Butler Purchase, which includes the traditional territories of  the Wendat, Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Mississaugas of Scugog, Hiawatha, Alderville First Nation and the Métis Nation. This move also brought me back to the areas where many of my ancestors had started their journeys after arriving from Ireland.

Most recently, I have taken on a new professional role at Trent University which is situated on the traditional territory of the Mississauga Anishinaabeg.

I recognize and continue to learn from the enduring presence of Aboriginal peoples on the lands on which I have lived, worked, and raised my family. I am very thankful for, and endeavor to respect and honour all of their teachings, in particular those that have assisted me in gaining a deeper understanding of our earth and our relations.

This course is the first time that I have worked through a more personal statement of this type and, based on the many resources to which I had to refer, and from which I had to borrow in order to draft it, I now realize the important conversations and study I have ahead in order to reach a truly authentic acknowledgement. I’m so grateful and excited to undertake to this ongoing work.

In reply to Maureen Glynn

Re: Maureen's Acknowledgement

by Sarah Lefebure -

Hi Maureen,

I really appreciate your situation of yourself in the various places and territories where you live. I feel inspired by your paragraph about learning "from the enduring presence of Aboriginal peoples" and the "deeper understanding of our earth and our relations". 

I too have been sifting through various resources and gathering little gems to weave into my own personal acknowledgment, and can see what an ongoing, evolving process it will be. 

Thank you so much for sharing!

Sarah

by Leslie Shayer -

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for including the list of places leading up to your current home. I tried to mimic a bit of this since I am starting to gain a deeper understand of place. We are who we are not only because of the people in our lives, but also all the places we have been.

Leslie

by Derek Murray -

I appreciate your reference to family since the work we do in our professional lives is just one part of our being. This was a good reminder for me that education should be about the whole person and not just "students" and "teachers". I am hoping I can make more concrete reference to that aspect of my life as well in my revised acknowledgement.