Susan Forbes Acknowledgement

Re: Susan Forbes Acknowledgement

by Donna DesBiens -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Susan, 

I really like how you included the Ojibwa word for hello as well as the English in your opening. I've been using the Lkwungen word for thank you (háy̓sxʷ q̓ə), which I've learned is pronounced like hi'chka and plan to model your use of hello in local languages too.   

You inspired me to think about possibly including other phrases when it suits the conversation context, just as I would make an effort to do in other intercultural situations. The Language Map of BC website provides the meaning and pronunciation for various greetings and phrases in Indigenous languages in this province that I may try out!    

Like you, I have thought about the diverse Indigenous peoples on whose traditional lands where I've lived and worked, and am considering ways to acknowledge key places without getting into too much detail. Several people have posted some great demos of how this might be done in an engaging and memorable way. A few examples that come to mind from my reviewing today: Jennifer K's PPT slide movie; how Siobhan and Derek wove in brief personal stories; and how Eva gave a brief, clear overview of three different regions.  

Kleco-Kleco for sharing - the Nuu-chah-nulth for thank you :-)