Susan Forbes Acknowledgement

Susan Forbes Acknowledgement

by Susan Forbes -
Number of replies: 2

Hello/Bozhoo. My name is Susan Forbes and I am of Irish and Scottish descent. My ancestral family settled on traditional territories of the Cree, Dakota, Dene, Ojibway, and Oji-Cree First Nations of Manitoba, as well as the Metis nation, particular Treaty 1 territory (Winnipeg). I have been fortunate to live on the traditional lands and territories of many Indigenous peoples throughout Canada, including:

• Treaty 6 territory (Edmonton) the traditional gathering place for Cree, Blackfoot, Metis, Nakota Sioux, Iroquois, Dene, Ojibway, Saulteaux, Anishinaabe, and Inuit.
  • Treaty 7 region, the historic home of Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation, the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations), and Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III  while I as studying at the University of Calgary.
  • The Robinson-Superior Treaty territory and the traditional Treaty 3 lands of the Anishnaabeg (Thunder Bay), and the Anishinabewaki, Attiwonderonk Neutral), Haudenosaunee peoples (St. Catherines).
  •  The traditional the lands of Wabanaki Confederacy and Mi’kmaq (Halifax).
  • Within the Williams Treaties, the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation that includes Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi.where Ontario Tech University is situated.

I am honoured to work with many members of these latter communities in my various roles at Ontario Tech.

In reply to Susan Forbes

Re: Susan Forbes Acknowledgement

by Sarah Lefebure -

Hi Susan,

I am really inspired by how you shared about the various territories you've lived on. In fact, reading your acknowledgment led me to research the First Nations on whose territories I have lived along my very windy path. I'm not sure if I will include all those different stops in mine, but I feel really thankful to have had the prompt to fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge of the places I have lived. 

I also appreciate this line:  I am honoured to work with many members of these latter communities in my various roles at Ontario Tech.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Sarah

In reply to Susan Forbes

Re: Susan Forbes Acknowledgement

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Susan, 

I really like how you included the Ojibwa word for hello as well as the English in your opening. I've been using the Lkwungen word for thank you (háy̓sxʷ q̓ə), which I've learned is pronounced like hi'chka and plan to model your use of hello in local languages too.   

You inspired me to think about possibly including other phrases when it suits the conversation context, just as I would make an effort to do in other intercultural situations. The Language Map of BC website provides the meaning and pronunciation for various greetings and phrases in Indigenous languages in this province that I may try out!    

Like you, I have thought about the diverse Indigenous peoples on whose traditional lands where I've lived and worked, and am considering ways to acknowledge key places without getting into too much detail. Several people have posted some great demos of how this might be done in an engaging and memorable way. A few examples that come to mind from my reviewing today: Jennifer K's PPT slide movie; how Siobhan and Derek wove in brief personal stories; and how Eva gave a brief, clear overview of three different regions.  

Kleco-Kleco for sharing - the Nuu-chah-nulth for thank you :-)