Jennifer Kirkey's Land acknowledgement

Jennifer Kirkey's Land acknowledgement

by Jennifer Kirkey -
Number of replies: 7

I have done this as a movie, but exported from PowerPoint slides.

In my classes which are primarily face to face I like to have a set of PowerPoint slides looping as the class begins, as people gather, etc.    I have a small set of them including one on the planets (I teach physics and astronomy).   Here is my draft land announcement.

I had never exported from PowerPoint into a movie before, so that is a stretch for me.

I hope to play around with the video tool in this course.  I am currently at a conference and squeezing this course around that.  I have more slides that show my life here in BC but I had to cut them to make the 8 MB limit.  

A shout out to all my union FPSE members as I am in Kelowna at the FPSE AGM where First Nations issues and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission recommendations are being discussed as we do our best to "walk the walk".    Kelowna is on the unceded territory of the Syilx First Nations.   I attended a workshop today on how to decolonize our collective agreements.  I am trying to work my favourite phrase from the introduction today " I am a squatter on Turtle Island" into this presentation but could not get there.  

In reply to Jennifer Kirkey

Re: Jennifer Kirkey's Land acknowledgement

by Dianne Biin -

Hi Jennifer; thank you very much for experimenting. the powerpoint movie was great and thank you for the context of where you lived and received your education. I also like the explanation of place. In you class, do you spend time with students to help them build their own introductions or awareness of place?

So glad that reconciliation is being addressed at the faculty union levels, seems encouraging.

In reply to Dianne Biin

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Jennifer,

I too really appreciated seeing an acknowledgement in this format because it's an option to speech, text, or view that could work equally well in online as well as face-to-face courses.  Also as Dianne suggested, I think this could be a great learning activity for students - or similarly in faculty development courses. Thanks for sharing the 'how-to' steps! 

In terms of your content, I really like the inclusions of the QayQayt Welcome Pole image, and history and language pieces, and similar information about other traditional territories where you have lived. And the photos of your family, with little info clips is a great way to share something of self in a very time efficient way.  

I too plan to re-use these ideas in my ongoing learning design work, especially in online courses.  It reminded me of Amanda Coolidge's origin story intro in her keynote at the CUNY/SUNY OER showcase (in our microcourse Resources) and I'd like to try to also include something about ethical values in my context as she did.     

In reply to Dianne Biin

by Jennifer Kirkey -

I have not had the students do that, but it is something to think about for the future.

I do have them introduce themselves and "share one things that is surprising about themselves".  I confess to not being very imaginative and that is one of the reason I signed onto this course.  

by Derek Murray -

Thanks Jennifer! I like the idea of having images and some text on slides and I would love to borrow your practice of showing these on a loop before class. Do you have audio? I am thinking about how to include some pictures in my video, so it's not just a talking head for 7 minutes. I also thought the inclusion of generations was useful. It helps to connect not just to a sense of time in place, but the connection of ancestors to a place as well.

I am not super familiar with converting PowerPoint to a movie, but is it possible to slow down the slide transition? I found it difficult to keep up.

In reply to Derek Murray

by Jennifer Kirkey -

Easy to convert a powerpoint to movie, and easy to slow down.

To get under the 8 MB limit I had to use a 2 second transition.

5 seconds is much better, and an easy choice.

Just go to Powerpoint and choose "export" and one of the options is MOV, as well as PDF and  MP4.

No audio in the presentation as it would add yet more size and this course has a 8 MB limit.

No audio, but I normally play music in the background of my class via Youtube.

I am big on open source and need to look more into open source music. 

by Derek Murray -
In reply to Derek Murray

by Jennifer Kirkey -

I ran out of time when I was doing the last post.  Here a few more music idea. 

I am looking for culturally appropriate music.   I do science songs that math my curriculum, but I do not yet have anything from a First Nations perspective. 

I once had the privilege of hearing Asani sing O Canada live at a conference in Edmonton.  

Here is a link from the Smithsonian page of this moving version of our anthem with words in Cree.  

https://youtu.be/DqPwjwmDWgQ

This is fun.  I had never thought about using this in class before.  I will do so in the future.   Here is another link from the CBC with O Canada in 11 different languages including Cree and Mikmaq

https://youtu.be/1jROsqdrLdk

***** smooth jazz with a fireplace behind it ****

https://youtu.be/xrOuW4Kr6uw

I like this music from You Tube.  This is the artist's original channel.  This one has a fireplace as the background image and when it is cold outside, students often warm their hands in front of the virtual fireplace.  Last winter due to the natural gas shortage the college turned the temperature down about 4 degrees.  I thought it was wonderful but students did comment on having to wear sweaters in class and having cold hands.