Institutional & Personal Acknowledgements from Brandy

Institutional & Personal Acknowledgements from Brandy

by Brandy Robertson -
Number of replies: 3

Assiniboine Community College's land acknowledgement is as follows:

"Assiniboine Community College campuses are located on the traditional territories of Treaty No. 1 and Treaty No. 2, and the shared traditional lands of Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, Dene, and Asnishinabek/Ojibwe peoples, and the homeland of the Metis nation. We acknowledge their welcome to the students who seek knowledge here."

Whether or not I am representing Assiniboine Community College, I would also include the personal acknowledgement as follows"

"Personally, I am a settler on these lands. I was born and raised in a small, rural community - Gilbert Plains - situated on the lands covered by Treaty No. 2. My maternal great-grandparents were first-generation settlers from Ukraine and my paternal great-grandparents were first-generation settlers from Britain. I have had the privilege of growing and learning on these lands and I am grateful for the opportunities and relationships I have been given by these lands."

In reply to Brandy Robertson

Re: Institutional & Personal Acknowledgements from Brandy

by Dianne Biin -

Thank you Brandy for building on to the institutional acknowledgement. As you get more comfortable with your cultural introduction and acknowledgement, maybe add a statement of why are grateful to be in this place, that way you can express your attachment to the physical world or peoples.  Just something to think about.

For instance, after my cultural introduction I recognize the appearance of the snow drops means that winter is now over and the land is regenerating and reawakening as a way to reconnect to the land rather than talking about the start of the academic semester. 

In reply to Dianne Biin

by Brandy Robertson -

I am a settler to this place and was born and raised in a small, rural community - Gilbert Plains - situated on the lands covered by Treaty No. 2. My maternal great-grandparents were first-generation settlers from Ukraine and my paternal great-grandparents were first-generation settlers from Britain. I have had the privilege of growing and learning on these lands; I recall as a child learning to identify trees and plants, writing notes on birch bark, and wading through the creek that ran through the pasture where our horses grazed. I am grateful for the opportunities and relationships these lands have given me; these experiences and connections have led me to a more holistic mindfulness. At this time of year, as the lands turn from browns and greys to multiple shades of green I get excited to make my own small contribution to the health of this place by planting gardens that support the bee population.

The font in italics are messages that I feel I would change depending on the time of year and audience. 

In reply to Brandy Robertson

by Dianne Biin -

Fantastic. I felt your connection to place. Thank you.