Daryl's Acknowledgement

Daryl's Acknowledgement

by Daryl Smith -
Number of replies: 2

Below is the traditional Indigenous land acknowledgement I give before meetings.  

"Before we begin, I would like to acknowledge that we are on the traditional and unceded territory of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam) people and that we are honoured to have been gifted the name snəw̓eyəɬ leləm̓ meaning ‘house of teachings’ by the xʷməθkwəy̓əm people."

This is very different from the one found on the CAUT site.  

Langara College (Vancouver) – We [I] would like to begin by acknowledging that the land on which we gather is the unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples,[7] including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.

Thanks,

Daryl 

In reply to Daryl Smith

Re: Daryl's Acknowledgement

by Dianne Biin -

Thank you for sharing your acknowledgement and recognizing the gift of the name. Now, if memory serves me right this gift came about in 2016? so perhaps the acknowledgement in the CAUT guide is a bit dated?

I also appreciate the recognition of the language spoken on the lands. One of the fluent speakers from W̱SÁNEĆ shared with us that the language reflects the land. Thank for reflecting the language of place in your acknowledgement.

Since the CAUT guide is a living document, if Rick from Indigenous education department or executive from Langara want to submit an updated acknowledgement, they can. The hilarious part, the CAUT guide team doesn't erase and rewrite, they just keep adding. We did this at Camosun and laughed when both acknowledgements showed. I like the fact that we don't have to erase and restate, instead it shows how we are working, learning and evolving our relationships together through the acknowledgement.

In reply to Daryl Smith

Re: Daryl's Acknowledgement

by Viviana Chiorean -

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for sharing the name and meaning and how your personalized version is different. Deviating from the CAUT example is something I may have to experiment with as a result of seeing this. 

Viviana