Dianne's Acknowledgement and intro

Dianne's Acknowledgement and intro

by Dianne Biin -
Number of replies: 6

If you notice my eyes moving to the side, I was checking my script!  sorry.

In reply to Dianne Biin

Re: Dianne's Acknowledgement and intro

by Derek Murray -

I had the same challenge with reading from a script! I just have a few notes in class, but for the video it feels different. Do you have any suggestions on how to translate effectively into video format?

In reply to Derek Murray

by Bonnie Nicholas -

I'm travelling and can't check the videos right now but I've taught online and I know that eye contact with the camera is so important. I've glued Googly eyes beside the camera on my home computer to remind me to look there and not at my computer but we do often have to look down at our screens. A couple of suggestions are to try a tool like teleprompt.me, if you have a script or outline that you are following. If you use a tool like Screencast-o-matic, it's relatively easy to snip off the last bit of the video where you're looking for the stop recording button.

In reply to Bonnie Nicholas

by Derek Murray -

Thanks Bonnie! I tried to keep my script (in a Word doc) near the top of the screen as close to the webcam as possible, but I still seem to be looking down.

In reply to Bonnie Nicholas

by Dianne Biin -

Thanks for the tips Bonnie!  Googly eyes, the crafter in me is smilling right now!  I'm totally glueing them to my laptop.

In reply to Derek Murray

by Dianne Biin -

You know I usually do the acknowledgement from my heart, so no need for script; however, my first time recording it!  So was a bit thrown off.

Apologies for my late reply - at a Decolonizing Technologies, Reprogramming Education conference since Thursday.

In reply to Dianne Biin

by Ryan Banow -

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for sharing your example. I really appreciate how you take the time to share a bit about your families' histories. You made a comment on mine about "situating" yourself. Can you confirm if that is what you mean?

I noticed that this acknowledgement is quite long. It is our general practice to do acknowledgements at the beginning of sessions/workshops, even ones that are 25-60 minutes long. In a case like that, do you still feel it is appropriate to provide this full acknowledgement? Or would you do something different in cases like this? I really see the value of your acknowledgement in building a positive learning community, but wonder about it for a short one-off event. I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

Ryan