Donna's Acknowledgement

Donna's Acknowledgement

by Donna DesBiens -
Number of replies: 4

Just a draft, next time I'll try to eliminate glasses glare in the video!

In reply to Donna DesBiens

Re: Donna's Acknowledgement

by Jennifer Kirkey -

Thanks for sharing Donna.

I really liked how you were able to talk about when your ancestors came to Canada.  I will use that when I redo my own introduction.    

I found it useful when you shared the strengths and challenges of a multi-cultural upbringing.

The glare on your glasses was not that distracting.  As a physicist I was more intrigued than annoyed.  Do you have low glare glasses?  Do you think that just moving a lamp will help?  It is definitely something I will play closer attention to on my own videos.  

In reply to Jennifer Kirkey

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for both the feedback - both the appreciative and generative comments :-).  I'm glad you will be able to use some of the same approaches to sharing your own cultural background.   

I often change up my own acknowledgement cultural introduction depending on place and situational contexts, and also as I learn more about what protocols are important to the Indigenous people there and how to be in good relationship with self and others.  

I was concerned about the glare too, but couldn't get rid of it without removing my glasses... which I needed to look at my notes for my new changed up script!  I'm definitely going to get low glare glasses when I renew this summer. I had no lights on at all while recording. I think the glare was an interaction with my dual computer screens. 

In reply to Donna DesBiens

by Derek Murray -

I was inspired by this to reach out to one of our elders-in-residence at CapU to talk more about visitor protocol. We are going to chat soon. I'd like to know more about what it means to be a visitor (in this case) in Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish lands, and what are important protocols I should be following. One thing I learned recently was that the direction of a talking circle (clockwise vs. counterclockwise) is different in different places.

In reply to Derek Murray

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the feedback.  It was due to engaging in this microcourse that I too have begun to develop a better understanding of the meaning of guest/visitor protocols.  The Beyond territorial acknowledgements article in our course resources opened some doors of perception for me! 

In a bit of synchronicity, I also recently learned about different talking circle directional protocols.  In my case, it was a result of experiential learning in a couple of workshops at the recent Learning at Intercultural Intersections conference. In both workshops, I happened to be sitting right next to the facilitators in the circle. Luckily for me, as I tend to be a bit shy, the Day 1 workshop followed clockwise Kainaiwa protocol so I had time to get acquainted with the other conference participants and flow before going first in the Day 5 workshop activities, which followed the counterclockwise Nuxalk protocol.  For future, I'll know to arrive early to choose a seat accordingly!!