We have prizes!

We have prizes!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 11
Conversations like this one are great for raising awareness about Open Educational Resources, and we're thrilled with the great contributions so far. We thought we'd offer another opportunity to learn more about this topic. Prizes!

Each week we will send one of these books to the lucky seminar participant.

1. Open Educational Resources Handbook for Educators
2. Opening Up Education

This week I used a 3-step process for selecting the winner. First I picked a number out of a box (1 - 6). I picked 2. Then I opened up the seminar and counted down 2 discussion threads: What does 'open' mean to you? (I did this last night before Scott initiated a new topic.) Finally, I used the forum search tool to search the word "open" for this seminar, then looked for the first result in the selected thread. The author of that post is.....

drum roll....

Nicola Avery

Actually the author was, not surprisingly, Scott! But for obvious reasons he isn't included in this contest. smile Nicola, now you need to send me your address and let me know which book you choose (scurrie@bccampus.ca).

Any suggestions for how to choose the winner for this week? Open to ideas!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: We have prizes!

by bronwyn hegarty -
Sylvia
This is a great incentive to get us participating and while we are waiting to win a prize we can still access the pdfs of the books as thankfully they are available free for download. In the true spirit of OER!

If anyone wishes to contribute to writing the book, Open Educational Resources (OER) Handbook, it is available on WikiEducator - see: http://wikieducator.org/OER_Handbook

Mini-handbooks are available for three audiences:

Educators (ongoing development - please contribute)
Version 1.0 (Wiki)

Perhaps the next winner could be picked by getting contributors to explain on a separate thread how they might use or are using OER in their organisation - the most interesting/creative reason gets the prize. This would stimulate postings and also inform us and give us ideas.

Here is another OER book people might know about already, but you may not be aware the second edition is available free for download.
All info at: http://cde.athabascau.ca/online_book/
Athabasca University Press is pleased to announce the publication of the 2nd edition of the Theory and Practice of Online Learning at http://www.aupress.ca/books/Terry_Anderson.php edited by Terry Anderson. This 2nd edition and its individual chapters continue to be freely available online under a Creative Commons license. The 2nd edition is also available in print for a purchase price of $39.95 Canadian.
Bronwyn Hegarty
In reply to bronwyn hegarty

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for adding another important OER book to our list and pointing us to the ongoing development on the OER Handbook, Bronwyn.

Great idea for selecting a grand prize winner this week. (I feel like a game show host, and I'm enjoying my new role! big grin) Would you like to help with the selection of the "most interesting/creative" post?

by Nicola Avery -
Hi,

I've been trying to think of a way in which to donate the books to a kind of international library which as far as we know doesn't exist for checking out print books ?

So, first one to reply to this gets last week's prize,

Nicola
In reply to Nicola Avery

by Prince Obiri-Mainoo -

Hello,

I have recently been asked to nurture a training institute that my church, Church of Pentecost International in the U.S., has recently purchased into a university college. I am glad that the ongoing prominence of OERs will be helpful in this regard. With the support of a board and some educationists, we have been asked to deliberate and make recommendations and lay the necessary structures and links with educational and other international organizations worldwide that will help translate this vision into reality within the next few years.

Located in Leominster in Massachusetts, the Pentecost Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) currently serves only the clergy and the laity within the church, but from the beginning of the year PLTI has started opening its doors to the general public as the first step towards our goal.

Nicola, I believe your books may be useful addition in the library towards our cause. Please, let me know what to do next if nobody else has gone ahead to request them. Thank you.

Prince

In reply to Prince Obiri-Mainoo

by Nicola Avery -
Hi Prince, thanks for this - Terrie McAloney has replied earlier, but she mentioned that she was happy to pass them on afterwards, so please feel free to contact her?

Very best wishes with your venture,
Nicola
In reply to Nicola Avery

by Prince Obiri-Mainoo -

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your response! Kind of Terrie McAloney to willing to pass them on afterwards. Terrie, please, let me know how to contact you.

Prince 

by Sylvia Currie -
Congratulations to Nalin Abeysekera our week 2 prize winner for his response to the question How are you using OER in your organization? Nalin, just send me your mailing address (scurrie@bccampus.ca) and your book choice:

2. Opening Up Education

And thanks to Bronwyn Hegarty the suggestion for this week's little contest, and offering to help with the selection. approve

by Nalin Abeysekera -

WOW!! Thanks Sylvia. Thanks for you the prize. This is inspiring me to put more constructive comments as possible. Sorry for the late reply since I was offline.

And I like to tell that in Sri Lanka in my online courses I always using scope as a success story in the era of online learning.

I learned more from the forums in scope and I incorporated that in my teaching and learning as well.

Thanks again for the prize.

Week 3 prize

by Sylvia Currie -
To be eligible to win a book this week you only need to respond to this very simple question. (The hidden agenda is pretty obvious! wink) We'll do a random draw at the end of the week.

Re: Week 3 prize + summary of all prizes

by Sylvia Currie -
The suspense is over! The lucky winner of the week 3 prize is Julia Leong from the Faculty of Education at Simon Fraser University. Julia works with practicing teachers in British Columbia, Canada so for sure the book will be put to good use. approve

I'll summarize our weekly prizes because much the communication was via email.

Week 1 prize went to Nicola Avery from England who decided to offer it to someone else. Terry McAloney from Canada took her up on the offer but then turned the book over to Prince from Ghana/US who is donating it to Pentecost Leadership Training Institute in Massachusetts.

During week 2 Bronwyn Hegarty from New Zealand suggested selection processs so of course she is offered a book for that! Nalin Abeysekera from Sri Lanka is the lucky winner.

For our week 3 poll, which you're still welcome to respond to, we had 8 participants from Belgium, Canada, and the U.S.

I'd say we could call this an international contest of people who are very willing to share openly. :-)

Lucky winners, just send me a note with your mailing address (scurrie@bccampus.ca) and your book choices and I'll mail them out.

2. Opening Up Education