Find Your Inner Project Manager

Find Your Inner Project Manager

by Susan Glynn-Morris -
Number of replies: 4

This prompt is for a discussion forum near the start of an online Introduction to Project Management and Event Planning course. The intention is to help students see themselves as project managers (even if only informally) and start to think about elements of project management before diving into course content. 

Prompt:

While you may or may not think of yourself as a Project Manager (at least not yet!), we have all 'managed projects', at least informally, at one point or another - from planning a birthday party or family supper, to completing a group assignment for school, to organizing a move or renovation. Heck, sometimes just getting out of the house in the morning can feel like a project!

The point is, we all have experience with 'project management' and 'event planning'. The purpose of this discussion forum is to reflect on our personal experiences and think about what makes a project or event successful. 

For this post, I'd like you to:

1. Think back to a time you 'managed a project' or 'planned an event' - remember your project or event can be informal.
  2. Write a post briefly describing your project or event in a few short sentences.
  3. Include how it went and what factors you think contributed to its success (or lack of success)

In reply to Susan Glynn-Morris

Re: Find Your Inner Project Manager

by Faith Whiting -

Oooh - I like this!

Thank-you for bringing this big idea to a tangible level for me. Project Management is such a big term that evokes big images for me but - yes, I've planned many birthday parties and dinners! I feel validated in this course and I've connected to it right away.

I like how concise the prompt is and I see so many opportunities to reflect on other aspects too like my plan, my budget, how I thought the guests perceived the event (and how did I know this), how I felt during and after the event, what my timeline was like, etc. You might get a long response from me on this one.. it will all be in the context of the 6-year old birthday party I just planned and executed. This will help me relate to the course on a personal level. 

..And even if I simply learn to put on a more successful child's birthday party in this course, I will personally be very happy - it's not easy, you know. 

by Beth Cougler Blom -

I like Hillarie's idea about alternatively asking students to post a photo. Or perhaps an animated gif from Giphy or another site that might depict how their event went?

by Karen Liska -

Great discussion prompt! I immediately thought about things I had planned in the past. In one of the courses I teach we have a similar prompt about what it means to be a leader. We ask students to reflect on a time they took charge and include some of the steps they used to be successful. I can see you have the same ideas by asking about the factors that contributed to success. 
I also like the idea about the visual! What a fun idea. 

by Junko Leclair -

I really love this prompt for a few reasons:

- they instil a sense of confidence in project management

- there is a big relevance piece here

- sharing of experiences, wisdom, and common past

Thank you for sharing!