Patti Adye O'Donahue TPS First DRAFT

Patti Adye O'Donahue TPS First DRAFT

by Patti Adye O'Donahue -
Number of replies: 4

* The following is my rough draft and requires a lot more crafting and detail.

My Personal Learning Philosophy

My teaching philosophy arises out of my lived experience, and is rooted in living systems theory and the idea that personal transformation leads to social transformation. I believe in honouring and respecting the inherent intelligence and wisdom embodied within each individual, no matter their age and perceived status in society. My experience has taught me that each human being has their own unique style of discovering truth, and that learning is a continual process of self discovery and self awareness.

Royal Roads University Learning & Teaching Philosophy

My teaching philosophy is an ideal fit for the Royal Roads Learning and Teaching Model for many reasons.

I am a self directed woman who has always been passionate about learning, however, I failed to excel in the school system, and at university. I am an intuitive and highly creative and it was not until attending RRU in my forties that I finally came to understand why the educational system failed to support my learning style. Firstly, as an (INFP) intuitive my learning process is random, non-linear, holistic and multidimensional. Secondly, as a self directed and intelligent woman I do not want to memorize information, I desire to learn and discover truth that resonates in my own being.

Humanity is living through a critical time on earth. A time where we are presented with complex problems to solve if we are to survive and thrive. In my experience, the learning and teaching model at RRU is cutting edge and integrates the components essential to inspiring transformation, and leaders equipped with the tools to lead organizations through this shift in paradigms. 

The RRU learning and teaching model includes experiential problem based learning that is contained within a learning community that utilizes diverse methods of delivery to support transformational leadership in mature learners. 

In reply to Patti Adye O'Donahue

Re: Patti Adye O'Donahue TPS First DRAFT

by Sylvia Currie -

Brava for being first out the gate with your draft, Patti! I added a few notes in the margin which you'll see when you view this in a web browser (everyone, you can also do this by highlighting text, then hitting the "enter' key to type.)

I'm giving feedback as someone who has very little experience writing teaching philosophy statements. Keep that in mind as you read it!  I feel like a bit of an imposter and am so grateful for Sue's expertise!

I love that you hammered this out then posted so quickly. It's really the best way to go! The refining comes later.

My first read through left me feeling that this might be two different pieces: 

1. A TPS 

2. A cover letter 

It's ideal to elaborate on your personal experiences with the institution and to point out that you've taken notice of their approach, but I wonder how much of that belongs in the TPS. It might inform how you've come to articulate your philosophy. Perhaps that could surface more rather than what you've come to appreciate about RRU.

Again, a big high five for sharing your draft! 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Patti Adye O'Donahue TPS First DRAFT

Hi Sylvia

Thank you for your reflections.  This is a very rough draft as I try to integrate my teaching philosophy with the organizational learning philosophy so very choppy :)

Interesting comment about learning styles as I made an assumption based upon my own educational background that this was a familiar concept. We are all wired differently and every learner takes in information uniquely and processes information equally as uniquely. Unfortunately, the educational system is far to predominantly geared towards linear left brain learning styles, which does leave out a large percentage of the population. 

I will be travelling over the next couple of days, but will give your comments consideration as I edit and rewrite my TPS.

Patti

Re: Patti Adye O'Donahue TPS second DRAFT

My Personal Learning Philosophy

My teaching philosophy arises out of my lived experience, and is rooted in living systems theory.  The idea that personal transformation has a ripple effect that leads to social transformation. I believe in honouring and respecting the inherent intelligence and wisdom embodied within each individual, no matter their age, culture or their perceived status in society. My learning experience has taught me that each human being has their own unique style of arriving at truth, and that learning is a continual process of self discovery and self awareness.

I have a personal story to share that clarifies my my teaching philosophy and why it is a good fit for the learning and teaching model within this organization. Also, it forms the basis of why I want to teach. Although, teaching is the terminology most frequently used, I see myself as a facilitator of learning.

I am a self directed learner who is passionate about learning.  However, for several reasons I failed to excel in the school system and at university. It was not until attending graduate  school at Royal Roads University in my early forties that I finally came to understand why the educational system had failed to support  me on my learning journey. 

When I was in Grade 9, I found that I could answer complex math problems with a fairly high degree of accuracy. However, when asked by the teacher to explain my process and write it on the board, I simply could not.  My process felt random and it certainly was not linear and I was not able to translate into language how I arrived at the answer. I just knew.  This inability to articulate logically how I knew what I knew affected me in a very profound and life changing way. I felt it must be the result of a learning disability and the phenomena contributed to the mental models I formed of myself from that point forward.  As a result of my confusion, I concluded that I must not be very bright.  I felt so embarrassed, that I eventually dropped out of the academic program and enrolled in the vocational stream of students.  I loved learning, but I could not understand my unique gift and no teaching professional at that time was able to offer any explanation, or support. As a result of the lack of support, I also did not feel safe in the learning environment.  What I really needed was a role model to validate my way of being as having value in the world.

Eventually, I did go on to college and I rose to the challenge retaking all of those math courses I dropped out of years ago, and feared so much. By that time in my personal evolution I was able to follow a step by step process to arrive at the correct answer, and articulate my procedure. However, I still carried the belief that something wasn’t quite right. This belief also led to a nudging feeling that I did not belong in mainstream society as I felt most resonant with the artists, the poets, philosophers, writers and visionaries of society.

In my early forties while attending first year of my graduate studies in leadership, I learned through Myers Briggs (MBTI) that I was an INFP.  According to Myers Briggs, people who self identify as INFP have a learning style that is introverted, intuitive, feeling and perceptive. My learning process is certainly random, non-linear, holistic and multidimensional. The information in the MBTI stated that Intuitive learners often knew the answers to math problems without knowing how they arrived at the answer. This was my aha moment!  I finally understood the WHY of my math challenge in high school. The relief was enormous, and I was finally able to see and understand myself more clearly and let go of the false perceptions formed so long ago in high school. 

Lastly, as a mature woman and self directed individual I do not want to memorize information as discovered, taught and instructed by a professor just because he or she works for a university and told me that certain information was truth. I do not want to be tested on my ability to memorize. As an adult learner, with a life time of experience and knowledge, I desire to learn and discover truth that resonates within my own being. I love the process of researching and discovering truth for myself, but feel great resistance when I am told what truth is and tested on my memory, verses my critical thinking and reflection on information as presented. 

I understand that far to often learning environments only recognize the dominant learning styles of students. As a result, most of my life has been dedicated to teaching in community based learning programs working with a broad spectrum of society, including: indigenous peoples, youth at risk, women and adult learners. The learning journey is a slow flowering of human potential and as a result of my challenges in the educational system I am able to connect compassionately with students who often do not fit into the flow of mainstream society.  I understand that each human being perceives and understands life very differently, and each learner embodies a unique gift to be shared in a safe and supportive environment. I am a facilitator on the learning journey, and share in a way that respects the individual and allows each person to discover truth as it resonates within their own heart. 

Re: Patti Adye O'Donahue TPS second DRAFT

by Sylvia Currie -

Patti, I read that you were heading out on your travels so was extra delighted to see that in between packing and planning you were able to tap out this beautiful piece! These personal stories inform where we are today, and are especially potent when you have those aha moments that allow you to understand past struggles so clearly. 

I sense there's a part 2 coming that focuses on your teaching. These are the moments where I wish these MicroCourses weren't so, well, Micro!