TPS word cloud

TPS word cloud

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 12

I saw this tweet + image from Isabeau Iqbal right after reading Gina's comment about how many times Leonne said "like". It got me thinking that it could be a creative way to begin writing a TPS. Start with 10 minutes of free writing then run it through a word cloud generator to see what stands out. 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: TPS word cloud

by Sue Hellman -
I've been feeling that I'd like to plug my brain into Wordle, dial it to 'teaching philoophy statement', and watch the word cloud develop.

Plug in brain

In reply to Sue Hellman

by Gina Bennett -

heh heh ... I love this image, Sue! But I have a feeling if I plugged my brain into Wordle & watched the word cloud develop, it might resemble more of a horror movie. At least until my computer began to smoke. ;-)

by Patti Adye O'Donahue -

Hi

This is interesting. 

I am a bit behind in terms of this technology.

Can you provide me with a link, or fill me in with a greater understanding of how to run it through a word cloud generator?

I regularly go through this process from mind, to pen, to paper but I am not familiar with an online process.

Thank you

Patti

In reply to Patti Adye O'Donahue

by Sylvia Currie -

I'm a mind, to pen, to paper person as well, Patti. I find paper and pen can be quite a different experience than keyboard to screen! 

If you do get digital there are several free online services that generate word clouds. You copy/paste the text, select a few visual options, and the cloud is generated. Here are a few I've used but I'm sure there are many more. 

1. Word Art
  2. Word It Out
  3. Wordle

by Patti Adye O'Donahue -

Thank you!

I had a look at them all and opened me up to new possibilities :)

Love learning . . . 

Patti

by Cindy Ives -

I had a chance to try out a couple of these on some of the free writing I have been doing this week. My first impression is that they have the most important words captured. What do others think? Has anyone else tried this yet? (I'd upload them but haven't figured out how to make the images small enough to show in the forum window.)

In reply to Cindy Ives

by Cindy Ives -

Awesome, thanks Sylvia!

It's cool to see how they are different, and how they are the same.

by Sylvia Currie -

I posted Cindy's word clouds then had to rush off. The answer to her question is yes, generally these are all about word frequency. Words like 'the' 'my' etc are stripped out.

Of course I couldn't resist doing one as well. I find it interesting to see what stands out. Actually, I noticed words in there I didn't even recall writing! So I went back to my scrawl to remind myself what I was talking about :) 

Anyway, I think these low stakes type of activities have a place. It's sometimes surprising what stories and memories you have inside yourself when you allow them to come out on "paper." 

word cloud