My "WHY" statement

My "WHY" statement

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 3

I found it challenging to think (once again) about why I teach. I've written a number of teaching statements in the past, & like the Activity suggests, I've written each one somewhat differently to fit the situation. I wish I'd kept them all -- it would be interesting to see how my philosophy has changed over the years. I guess what makes it most challenging this time is because I'm semi-retired with no specific teaching assignment, yet I find myself drawn to teaching like some kind of addiction I can't shake. I do tutor several adult students who need help with ESL, which helps to keep the teaching pangs at bay :)

Why do I teach? Well, here's a start ...

People pursue learning - consciously or subconsciously - because they want to become something more and I am drawn to teaching as a way to accompany the learner in the becoming process. 

In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: My "WHY" statement

by Sue Hellman -

Wow, Gina. Your reflection has left me more than a little overwhemed. I retired in 2010 and am experiencing a similar 'struggle' in fact I'm applying for a position and will be writing my TPS today. I wonder if some kind of scientific case can be found for teaching changing one's DNA in some way? 

Welcome to the course. If there's anything you'd like to see or feel is missing, just let me know either here or vis a message. 

In reply to Gina Bennett

by Leonne Beebe -

Gina,

You have started a question that could have a lot of answers. My teaching philosophy affects me in three ways: I am still teaching because I like seeing students learn and progress in their lives.  I like learning because I am learning about becoming a better teacher.  I like mentoring new teachers because I can see their teaching improve. Maybe this is why I am a FLO enthusiast; I can do all three at once. Now back to teaching my students.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Gina Bennett -

hi Leonne (probably my nearest neighbour in this course :D )

I was reading over some of the suggested resources for this activity & one of them suggested that a good way to start drafting a teaching statement was to read over your own reflections & underscore the themes & ideas that appear more than once. I couldn't help noticing how often the word "like" appeared in your comment above. Certainly (for us lucky ones at least) a big reason why we teach is because we just plain find it so enjoyable!!! 

Now, as to WHY we like it so much .... that's a 'way deeper question. Maybe it doesn't need an answer?