Hillarie: Exploring the origins of your name

Re: Hillarie: Exploring the origins of your name

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 1

Hillarie, you mentioned ...

>>How do individual activities (like this one) lead to community building??  ... how do we move beyond this to actually building a community

... & I've been thinking about that all morning. I think to answer such questions we have to re-visit the even more obtuse questions: "Why are we trying to "build a community" in this course, anyway?" and "How will we know when we *have* built a community? What will it look like, feel like, how will things be different once we have this elusive community in place?" Your idea about grounding this activity within indigenous ways of knowing sounds like a good starting point.

I will continue to ponder this but would sure welcome other thoughts on this.

In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Hillarie: Exploring the origins of your name

by Beth Cougler Blom -

I think this is a great question Gina, but the answer isn't so easy! Or maybe it is. I want to say something like, "we will all know on an individual level if we feel like we are part of a course community". And boy, that sounds pretty tough then to help create for others as a course facilitator/instructor, doesn't it? With all these varied humans (as Colleen would say) taking part in our courses who are each unique individuals!

Like so much else in this work, I will keep on the journey of trying and learning and trying some more... :-)

Beth