Hillarie: Exploring the origins of your name

Re: Hillarie: Exploring the origins of your name

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 1

I love this idea, Hillarie. Not only would this be a great conversation-opener, it could result in a finished product (the short essay or padlet) which the student may value for a number of other reasons. It's also offering a way for the student to invite a conversation while being as revealing or reserved as they want/need to be. 

I'm thinking that it *could* be a lot of work... If students are not terribly familiar with padlet or technology (searching for images, pasting links etc.) they may find it somewhat intimidating. However, this activity would be very configurable & you could easily reduce the technical requirements if your group felt uneasy. 

When were you thinking about trying this?

In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Hillarie: Exploring the origins of your name

by Hillarie Zimmermann -

Hi Gina,  Thanks for your comments.  I have been using Padlet with my students this year and I am finding it a very easy interface for them.  It required very little instruction and the students seem to be having a lot of fun with it.  In an online environment, I would likely provide some relatively detailed instructions for its use on the class website.  And of course, I would be available to the students should they encounter difficulties.  I might try this activity next semester as a "get to know your classmates".  Thanks again for your feedback!