A Rubric for Evaluating Feedback Quality

A Rubric for Evaluating Feedback Quality

by Tara Vanderveer -
Number of replies: 3

Hey guys, 

Being a bit greedy here by posting another, but I am struggling with a good rubric to evaluate the feedback students give each other.

I have a written assignment that they peer evaluate and then I evaluate them on the quality of feedback they provide. I have never done it before, but here is what I am working on...

Does anyone have a "Go-To" rubric for this type of assessment or comments for me on this one?

Thank you all for your generosity in feedback and conversation!!!

Tara

In reply to Tara Vanderveer

Re: A Rubric for Evaluating Feedback Quality

by Leonne Beebe -

Tara,

Your concept of evaluating the student's feedback  when giving peer feedback is intriguing. Will you give them a rubric to base their feedback on?  It's like reflecting on your reflections.

Just checking to make sure I understand your design. 

Your have four weighted criteria: relevance = 1, examples = 1, detail = 5, and overall impression = 3 for a total of 10 marks for each of the five student-assessed criteria.  Do you provide a score for each of the five student-assessed criteria?  For example, would you give each of the five student-assessed criteria a score of 1 or 0 for the relevance and examples criteria, from 0 to 5 for the detail criteria, and from 0 to 3 for the overall impression criteria? . If so, then you would end up with a possible total score of 5 for relevance, 5 for examples, 25 for details, and 15 for overall impression for a total of 50 marks. Then, all you have to do with your total mark is to convert  it to a %  by multiplying by 2. 

Or have I misread your rubric, and you only give one score of 3 at the end for overall impression criteria, which would result in total score of 5 + 5 + 25 +3 =  38, not so easy to convert to a %?

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

by Sue Hellman -

Hi Tara. 

I think students would be eager to have input to this kind of rubric. They're very aware of what kind of feedback is/isn't useful, what feels like a constructive critique, and what ends up feeling too personal. I'd be inclined to give the draft to them and see what edit suggestions they come up with. 

I'd also keep in mind that they may be used to the kind of evaluator who does all the work of correcting for them. Peer feedback which makes the producer of the original work responsible for edits and changes may be judged as less than ideal becuse it leaves them with a lot of gard work to do or because students are not used to it. 

by Sue Hellman -

Late comment -- sorry...

I just read the MicroCourse rubric for peer feedback in these forums. It's in the indtructions that precede the comments. If you haven't looked at it already, it could be interesting. 

-SH