Nadja's Rubric

Nadja's Rubric

by Nadja Neubauer -
Number of replies: 3

Hello all!  I am midway through teaching a 10 day intensive course, so I have struggled to find time to post, but I am thoroughly enjoying reading your posts and reviewing your rubrics.  I am trying my hand at a single-point rubric for an oral final exam in the course I am currently teaching.  I haven't given an oral exam before, but am borrowing an idea from a colleague whose course I took in the summer.  The students have been asked at the end of each day to prepare and submit questions to be used for this exam.  I will be choosing several, and adding some of my own, to create a list of 20 questions.  The students will be expected to prepare for all of them, then draw two out of a hat and answer them.  The test will be given one on one in 15-20 minute appointments.  I have tried to create a simple but clear rubric to be used by the students to prepare, and by me to mark their exams.  Looking forward to feedback.

In reply to Nadja Neubauer

Re: Nadja's Rubric

by Karen Liska -

I hear you with how fast paced those intensive courses are! I have done a couple myself and I am always amazed at how we actually get through the content in such a short time.  

I like your choice of rubric for an oral test. I am wondering if there is more detail that could go in the standard criteria section to help with deciding how many points within the range a student could achieve? For example, is there a particular number of theoretical concepts a student should refer to in their answer in order to meet the criteria standard? I do think there is a good number of components and like the idea of being able to provide what the student did well and what they can work towards to meet the standard.

Thank you for sharing your rubric! You have given me some food for thought for my own one point rubrics! :) 

by Leonne Beebe -

Nadja,

Your single-point rubric design is interesting and sounds useful for both you and the students as they know ahead of time what to study and how you will mark. 

One thought from a student's point of view, not being familiar with this type of rubric design: how would you introduce this rubric to students to use as a study guide? There are only describers for the Standards column.  Do I need to know what the describers are for the advanced and concerns columns?  Having these describers would help me prepare to reach beyond the standards to advanced. This would also help me to see if I have prepared enough to reach beyond the concerns to the standards column. 

I'm looking forward to learning more about single-point rubrics as this is the first time I have seem them..

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

by Daniella Sieukaran -

Interesting and unique rubric, Nadja! As it's so unique, it is not intuitive and takes some time to wrap my mind around it. However, you rename the "Criteria" column "Meets Expectations" or something like that, so that it says a transition: Concerns/Needs Improvement, Meets Expectations, Advance/Exceeds Expectations.

Or if you want to stick to your headings, maybe move "Criteria" as the first column, and have a column for "Average" kind of work... so that instructors can give feedback if you're work is average... for example, there may not be an area for concern, but maybe an area for improvement. So, it's not that the student did badly, but if they want to reach the "Advanced" stage, what can they do to improve - so that kind of feedback would go under "Concerns." Having a place for that kind of comment could be useful.