Lisa's Rubrics

Lisa's Rubrics

by Lisa Trischuk -
Number of replies: 6

This rubric is for students to complete a loose materials assignment. Students are to have read the over the assigned websites,lessons on learning stories and the chapter text that corresponds with the assignment.  A letter grade is part of the assignment expectations for the assignment.  Now that I have read more and was introduced to the article your rubrics is one hot mess, I wonder now, if moving to a single point rubric would be more holistic to the learning outcomes/functions of learning how to write a learning story over a typical grade system…something to ponder more

Criteria

Developing

(60%-69%)

C to C+

Competent

(70%-84%)

B- to B+

Strong

(85%-100%)

A-, A, A+

Content:

Loose materials are carefully and thoughtfully chosen to stimulate thinking

Loose materials are natural and displayed in an inviting way to promote inquiry

A variety of possibilities of loose materials have been presented and organized in differing natural containers

Pictures are resized and show two outlined steps- invitation prior to and children engaged

Documentation of what was learned:

1.      Importance of creating invitations to play

2.      What surprised you about providing on-going loose parts

3.      What would be done differently

Mechanics:

Writing errors-grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation is minimal

Assignment was submitted on time according to the weekly schedule

APA is referenced and used correctly within the assignment

Writing is clear and well organized; Smooth flow between ideas and use of transitions enhances presentation

Instructor Comments:

Strong:  demonstrates thoroughly insight and skill: much strength present in the areas of Inquiry/concepts/ theories/thought consideration of materials

Competent: student demonstrates evidence of learning process (materials, environment, concepts and theories)

Developing:  student demonstrates the beginning stages of making learning visible through the learning process

Not Yet:

In reply to Lisa Trischuk

Re: Lisa's Rubrics

by Sue Hellman -

Hi Lisa. Could you provide more details about the assignment or activity being evaluated? For example, what are loose materials? Who are the learners? What is the context? Then I'll happily take another look at your rubric. -SueH

In reply to Sue Hellman

by Lisa Trischuk -

Hi Sue, thanks for the questions

With instructing early learning and child care- one of our focuses on curriculum development, is using loose parts to support children's interests. Loose parts are natural materials that can be moved, put together, taken apart, etc- they tend to be common items we have or find in our environment. Ie, buttons, pom poms, rocks, sticks, cups, paper rolls, etc.  The learners are the the students- they must demonstrate ( through pictures_  how set up these materials for the children to explore in a child's classroom. Does this help clarify? 

by Sue Hellman -

Hi Lisa. I get the general idea now. I'm just unsure of how the pictures fit in. Could you explain that criteion? Thanks. -Sue

In reply to Sue Hellman

by Lisa Trischuk -

sure, once the student has set up the loose parts in the classroom/enviornment- they take pictures of how they arranged the loose materials and a few pictures (non-identifying as per our protocol) of the children engaging with the loose materials. 

by Sue Hellman -

Thanks, Lisa. Now I understand what you want and the categories you're assessing. I like the idea of having the students submit pictures with a written report explaining their choices. 

I'm wondering if rearranging some of the elements in the rubric might make the students' work easier for you to evaluate and, at the same time, clarify for them what your expectations are. The problem is that this would would be hard for me to explain in writing. If you'd like more details, perhaps we could Skype & set up a Google Doc. I hesitate just sending a sample rewrite because that can seem like I'm superimposing my ideas on your work which is not what I intend. 

In reply to Sue Hellman

by Lisa Trischuk -

thanks Sue, I understand what you are trying to say and appreciate your feedback, I will work on reorganizing the rubrics and expectations.  Lisa