Rubric for Group Project (Culture) in the Health Care Assistant Program

Rubric for Group Project (Culture) in the Health Care Assistant Program

by Daina Moore -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone.

I am using a rubric for a group project in a course called HCA 101 Concepts for Health and Healing. The rubric is intended to break down the "Group Participation" part of the assignment criteria.

For the assignment itself, students are assigned a group of 4 and are allotted class time to research any culture of their choice. They must compile their research and ideas and present the selected culture to the class. They may use any medium (posters, PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.) to present their information.

I find that the students really love this project because they sincerely enjoying learning about other cultures. I have seen some excellent and creative work through this project. Part of the students' overall mark is the group participation mark (worth 12 marks).  I have created a rubric for the "group participation" rubric for these 12 marks. There is a separate handout that outlines criteria for the rest of the assignment.

The rubric I have attached (for Group Participation) is based on templates I found last year when I was researching rubrics on my own. I was so glad to come across this FLO micro course because I really want to improve my rubric creation skills!

Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to reading your rubrics.

Daina Moore

Capilano University

In reply to Daina Moore

Re: Rubric for Group Project (Culture) in the Health Care Assistant Program

by Leonne Beebe -

Daina,

The use of colour with your rubric really visually sets up the category rows and the rating columns making it easy to follow. 

Some thoughts and questions to help understand your rubric better:

1. This rubric is to assess group participation.  Is this rubric to be used by the instructor to grade individual students or each group, or by the students to grade each other or each group? 

2.  Although this rubric is to be used for group participation, the first three categories (main idea, reflections, creativity) seem more about the content and the presentation rather than group participation. Only the last category, "Group Participation and Effort", seems to relate to the purpose of the rubric. Are there other aspects of group participation that could be included in the rubric to further describe group participation?

3. The descriptors for each score are clear and well detailed, but the score values of 0-1, 2, 2.5, and 3 seem/feel awkward. The difference/improvement between 1 and 2 shows less change than the difference/improvement between 2 and 2.5  and between 2.5 and 3. Have the score values been arbitrarily compromised to result in a score of 12?

I look forward to your revised rubric as you have a good model for others to follow.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Daina Moore -

Dear Leonne,

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. Upon reviewing the rubric today, I had wondered if it would be unclear if it was for individual students or the group whole. I will work on the revision with this in mind. I will also review and revise the score values.

Thank you very much for this feedback - it is so helpful!

Daina Moore

In reply to Daina Moore

by Bettina Boyle -

Hi Daina,

This is such a great example of an analytical rubric. Nice!

It sounds like you already used the rubric for your assignment last year. I’m curious to know how you found it worked for you and for students?

A few comments for now:

I think - based on your explanation of the assignment - that this may be a group mark, but noticed that some of the descriptors refer to group work, but others to student and a few to students. Are students evaluated individually (on their participation in the group) or as a group (on their participation as a group)?

I also wonder what the rest of the critera for the assignment look like? It seems to me that you are actually already evaluating content and presentation (main ideas, reflection, creativity) in this rubric as well as group participation, which is mainly the group participation and effort row. Do you even need anything else?

Bettina

On a side note, I love how you let the students choose any medium to present their information!

In reply to Bettina Boyle

by Bettina Boyle -

Oops, I see Leonne was faster with comments :-) Don't mind the overlaps!