Hello colleagues

Hello colleagues

by Donna DesBiens -
Number of replies: 9

I've been working on 2 scripts since getting home from the work office at 5:30 - one brief informal FlipGrid and one more formal 'full' course intro with slides, but am too tuckered out to actually do the videos well now, so will do them in the morning. (Who wants to see and hear a tired facilitator, even if a hat hides many sins?!) 

Thanks everyone who already posted. I did take time to view them and have some feedback for you... but won't offer that till I've posted at least one of my own videos. I figure that's the minimum street credibility needed here ;-)

In reply to Donna DesBiens

Re: Hello colleagues

by Leonne Beebe -

Donna,

One of the benefits of taking FLO workshop is meeting up with online friends again. I look forward to reconnecting with your again through your video.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Donna DesBiens -
My facilitation context is a bit complex so I have decided to layer a few different personal and course introductions into the course Welcome and first week. 

At RRU, I'm the lead facilitator (and designer) of the Intercultural Foundations for Education (IFE) faculty development course.

Usually, this course is open to all faculty across campus. However, this summer I have been asked to offer a session for one program team only. So, I'm tailoring the course for them...  The program concerned is primarily delivered face-to-face, although the IFE course is online. 

So, I think I'll start with this text message in the online course hub: 

Layer I: Facilitator's Welcome

Intercultural Foundations for Education (IFE)
Facilitator: Donna DesBiens 

Welcome to IFE - Summer Session 2018! 

I'm very happy to work and learn with the BBA team about how we can help students expand their intercultural understanding…and how they can help us do the same. 

I’ve enjoyed conversations with some of you before and have been digging in to the BBA intercultural and global learning outcomes to prepare for our conversation this summer. I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you better as individuals with your diverse teaching and learning perspectives and competencies.

Photo of Donna

This pic was taken by my 5 year old niece at  her birthday party last year. I love how she sees me compared to my work mug shot.  Too bad the text wrap around the image doesn't hold when one posts! 

Layer II: Personal Introduction Learning Activity (at start of Week 1)
FlipGrid - 90 second facilitator intro to model foundational intercultural teaching competencies of "awareness of one's own cultural and disciplinary identities, and positionality in the classroom" ... and invitation to participants to do same. (I have a script ready to share tmrrw. I also have permission to show a couple of great instructor demo exemplars to show in the actual course). 

Layer III: Course Introduction Learning Activity (at end of Week 1) 
Kaltura My Media - Slides with voice over & video image - A formal intro to the course that includes an instructor welcome and course overview with brief description of the 4 weeks activities. My slides are still rough but happy to share prototype tmrrw). 

Donna

by Leonne Beebe -

Donna,

You have an interesting layout for your course intro. Sometimes, our family photos seem more relaxed than our professional role photos.  Will you be integrating this information into a video?  You will already have your text version ready.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

by Sylvia Currie -

Donna, this layered approach is a great idea. Separating out the personal introduction as a way to kick off course introductions from all participants is a personal preference.

For others who have not seen Flipgrid in action, I highly recommend you check it out for ease of use. It's similar to VoiceThread if you were ever part of that era when it was offered for free and very popular. 

Love the photo! The photo I've used for (gulp!) 10 years was taken by a young and short person as well. :)

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Donna DesBiens -
Hi again,

Here is my FlipGrid video for the personal intro activity.  Not quite perfect, I'm aiming to be more extemporaneous instead of reading my script ... but like someone else mentioned, when you were alive before the selfie gen, it takes practice to get comfortable with being on video.

It looks like FlipGrid has made some changes since last time I made one. To view my video you apparently will need a password ... so here's the password for this vid: 8Holistic8

Thanks for the nudge Leonne & the kind words Sylvia that encouraged me to get a prototype done, even if it is just as hot and muggy in Victoria today as it was yesterday :-)

Donna

by Leonne Beebe -

Donna,

Well done, for boldly going on and making your video.  What I liked best was you friendly, welcoming smile at the very end. You have inspired me to want to go back an check out FLIP GRID.  One small observation: there seems to be a glare on your glasses coming from some light in front of you.  Often my glasses reflect as they have a special coating for light sensitivity. What a seamless transition opportunity to use Flip Grid to set up your students for their intro video right after yours.  

For we "pre-selfie" folk, we can walk into a f2f class and wing it because of our experience with teaching and with the content; however, getting used to having this same sense of confidence when making our videos is challenging.  When asked about her sense of comfort, Christina said she pretends she is being interviewed instead of making a presentation when she makes a video.  

Good to be back in  FLO-touch online again.

Out of confusion come clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Donna DesBiens -

Thanks for the feedback Leonne! There's not much I can do about the lighting in my office, but I can lose the glasses - esp. now that I've created a more informal FlipGrid intro activity. 

Because I was tardy in posting my video during this course, I'd like to share my final design for the layered approach with the group. 

Layer 1 - Facilitator Welcome

Welcome to the IFE Summer Session 2018! Over the next four weeks we'll explore foundational (and current) intercultural learning research and a variety of intercultural teaching competencies.  This course is designed to provide you with opportunities to apply theory to your classroom practice, share expertise with each other, and support one another to generate solutions to teaching challenges.  

To get started, I invite you to review the Course Overview and introduce yourself in the FlipGrid and/or Memorable Experience story forums in Week 1. 

Informal pic of me

This photo was taken by my five year old niece at her recent birthday party. I love how she sees me compared to my work mug shot. I was inspired to use this pic by a personalized instructor intro I really enjoyed in one of the [participant's] course Moodle sites smile

My facilitation goals for this session are to give you a worthwhile learning experience and to listen carefully to your ideas, successes, and challenges in helping students expand their intercultural and global understanding. I'm excited about getting started on July 3! 

Layer 2  - FlipGrid Personal Intros

The learning aim is to invite personal stories about successes, interests, and ideas that can help us build connections across a variety of life contexts vs. just recapping our work bios. In 3 minutes or less, please share a bit about... 

1. Something that's going especially well for you 
2. Leisure activities that refresh and energize you
3. Vacation plans you're looking forward to 
4. Unique or interesting things about your home country or community
5. What 'home' means to you

Layer 3 - Memorable Experiences 

Briefly describe one of your most memorable intercultural learning experiences, what made it so memorable, and your own learning take-away from this experience.  

Layer 4 - Introduction Activity Exemplars 

I will showcase 2 instructor exemplars in the course learning resources - one is a fun 'six degrees of separation' undergrad student intro activity to support team building, and the other is a more serious approach to engaging grad students in collaborative definition of learning community and self-assessment criteria for their 'contribution' grade. 

I chose to use this layered approach to address meta-learning aspects of the course and to show a variety of ways to approach introductions for different learning needs, aims, and contexts.  

I now feel I've made a proper contribution to this micro-course :-). To anyone who's still out there, thanks for listening!  

by Leonne Beebe -

Donna,

There is always someone out there listening... That is one of the values of having the post also go to email.  Every once in a while, I like to go back to past FLOs just to see if someone else has posted.  

You sound like you are now satisfied with how your students will make their FLIP GRID intro.  Did you make a new one also?  I didn't see a link. 

FLO enthusiasts just keep turning up again and again.

I look forward to meeting you again online.

Leonne.

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Leonne,

I'm so happy you were listening - thanks for your response. 

About my FlipGrid intro design, I'm satisfied that it's congruent with the nature of intercultural learning.  But we'll have to see how it pans out. My participants are faculty and I'm coming from a learning design perspective .... so the proof will be in this week's pudding of introductions. 

I can't post my video from the FlipGrid I made because it includes the participant videos too.  But I'll try to make another grid this week with just my own video to use for demo purposes ... if it turns out well :-)  

I look forward to seeing you online again too! 

Donna