Christina Thomas' Video

Christina Thomas' Video

by Christina Thomas -
Number of replies: 6

https://122.kaf.it.ubc.ca/browseandembed/index/index/catname/466/catid/52931/uniqueId/

Although I have been able to explore a variety of complex software programs for recording videos this week, I chose to use something portable and familiar, my iPad. I found it very difficult to find an appropriate location without noise and with good lighting and will need to explore what my institution has available!

I appreciate all your feedback, thank you!

In reply to Christina Thomas

Re: Christina Thomas' Video

by Christina Thomas -

My video should be accessible now.

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Friday, 15 June 2018, 9:36 AM - fiddled with the embed option)

by Sylvia Currie -

There's a whole list of good design and delivery practices to check off for your video, Christina!

It looks like you found a nice location to film. It's a good example of how a clutter-free zone can help the viewer to focus on your short message. I don't know if you set up special lighting but it looks right. It also really feels like you're speaking to me -- you sound natural and your eyes are looking through the camera. Lots of expression and you speak very clearly. 

Did you use a phone to record? If you do a take two, I suggest turning it to landscape instead of portrait. That way you won't have so much black space around the image. 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Christina Thomas -

Thank you for your feedback, I’ll absolutely record in landscape mode next time, great suggestion!

by Leonne Beebe -

Christina,

One of the benefits of online learning is meeting people from different locations and far away places - like the Yukon!

You have a natural way off looking relaxed while speaking in front of a camera as if you do this a lot.  Any tips for how you developed your ease when speaking? Something I noticed because I had a problem when making my video is my hands and arms in relation to my body. Sometimes hands can  look distorted, and this may be because they are closer to the camera. While watching your video, I felt like you were reaching out to me and welcoming me with your friendly smile to join your class. Well done.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Christina Thomas -

Nice to meet you too and thank you for your comments!

I do a lot of videoconferencing (live) outside of my teaching position, I pretended to be having a conversation rather than delivering a presentation when I recorded my video - if that makes sense.

I’m glad I’m on the right track and am grateful to have had this experience! 

by Sylvia Currie -

Christina, your comment about pretending to have a conversation rather than delivering a presentation reminds me of advice from one of our SCoPE seminar facilitators, Jesai Jayhmes. During a 2-part seminar called "Humanizing the Online Experience" Jesai led us through a process of learning to speak to the camera. He brought a background in voice coaching and acting, and many of those techniques apply for sure. Have you ever watched an actor on stage and felt like you were the only one in the audience? 

Nice strategy! It works!