Janet's CCF Project Intro

Janet's CCF Project Intro

by Janet Webster -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I have experimented with turning a lot of text into a video format to more easily explain a project I am working on. The file is 1:42 seconds long and won't upload to this forum, but I have uploaded it to Kaltura:here is the link.

https://scope.bccampus.ca/local/kalturamediagallery/index.php?courseid=466

Give me feedback and let me know if you understand my project with this representation of it,

Thank you,

Janet

...I have an aversion to being filmed.....

In reply to Janet Webster

Re: Janet's CCF Project Intro

by Sylvia Currie -

I can completely relate to your comment about being filmed, Janet! I think with practice we become more comfortable in front to the camera, but of course we do have to consider if serves a purpose.

With your video it appears you're mostly interested in viewers getting the gist of your project, so using screen shots does make sense. Good approach and high 5 for getting a prototype together so quickly! It looks like a lot of work went into making it and we'd love to hear more about your process.

I have a couple comments that are more related to the use of features, plus a question:

I did a pause and rewind a couple times -- did a couple slides appear more than once?

I found myself wanting to read what was in front of me, but found that difficult with the slide moving and length of time it was displayed. 

The overlay text helped fill in the context, but it would be better to use darker lettering for that. The first run through I didn't notice some of that text. Also, my eyes were drawn to the smaller print rather than the overlay -- so it would be useful to make it more obvious that the viewer is not meant to be reading the smaller print, if that makes sense!

What do you think about using voice over to help to explain the project?

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Janet Webster -

Hello Sylvia,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, some voice over is a good idea. I tried to use the text layover to simplify the message, but  IMovie only gave me white text, of I couldn’t figure out how to change font colour.

Back to the drawing board....

Janet

by Leonne Beebe -

Janet,

At first, I was a bit confused as I was expecting to see a intro video of you, but what an interesting idea to do an intro video for your course/project. At the beginning, there was a lot of print to absorb in the time given, and it did look like the slides were duplicated.  it might help to have less information on each slide, so It's easier to read.  The graphics'  content seemed to relate to a second topic; they also were too fast to be able to understand, and they were duplicated.  Perhaps an intro slide with the outline of your video would help connect the content between the words and graphics. The music was a nice touch as the video was silent; however, speaking to the slides might also help with the flow and understanding of the content.

Like you, I find making videos uncomfortable because I am so critical and judgmental of every little mistake I made; I hope practice will help make it easier.  Just thinking - when we are in front of our f2f classes, each student is seeing us as a "real" video that we don't get to redo until we are happy with it, so maybe it's rethinking the role of the "virtual" video and not judging ourselves when we preview it. 

Since your project on critical thinking and assessment using rubrics is so relevant to today's teaching, I would like to know more about your project outside of this video and workshop.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Janet Webster -

Hello Leonne,

Thank you for your feedback. I need to revise the video based on your feedback. I did duplicate some slides hoping for prolonged readability of the text, but I need less text.

I basically tried to turn a report into a video, not an easy task!

Janet

by Robin Leung -

Thanks for sharing your video, Janet.

Like others who have commented, I too agree that you may want to use less repeated slides (although, I think it's iMovie that does this for you). Perhaps prolong the slides longer with a voice over (I think taking this baby step will help others understand what the project is about and help you become better being in the video). I know you can accomplish this with iMovie.

To make you feel better, my intro video that I made took multiple attempts (especially, I didn't do it with a professional mic or camera) and plus I challenged myself by doing it outside (with a LOT of background noise). But with multiple attempts, you get better each time and you pick up what mistakes you've made previous times.

In reply to Robin Leung

by Janet Webster -

Thank you Robin! I need to get this right so I can post a video on my Mahara e-portfolio.

by Jacquie Harrison -

Hi Janet,

I'm not that comfortable being filmed either! I've had to do it a lot so I am becoming desensitized to it. 

You've included a lot of information in these slides. The graphics helped a lot. 

I like the music in the background and that I had the ability to pause the slides to read.

As a suggestion, add a slide at the beginning with the purpose of the intro video. I found I wasn't clear on what I was going to be watching. Even better, record yourself introducing the video and giving a high level over view of the project.

Thanks for sharing this!

In reply to Jacquie Harrison

by Janet Webster -

You are right about the first slide explaining what the video is about ;)