Headshot or not?

Headshot or not?

by Robin Leung -
Number of replies: 2

I'm re-posting this question from Leonne Beebe, "is it better to sit down and more you showing or have more of a head shot" while filming?

In reply to Robin Leung

Re: Headshot or not?

by Sylvia Currie -

I've been thinking about Leonne's question - headshot or sitting down when filming?

What I've come up with is that both can be very effective. What really counts is everything else that goes into communicating your message. For example, if you are speaking directly to your learners, you need to look at the camera. They are in that little circle! Perhaps lean in now and again, try to be natural in your expressions (or at least try -- this is not easy!) In a chair, a slight shift with your chair to angle your body away from the camera can make you appear less formal and more welcoming. 

Playback on video reveals gestures and expressions you aren't even aware you do. Sometimes the more aware you are, the more hyperaware and unnatural you become. Ha, I'm mostly speaking for myself here! But through practice you become more relaxed, and knowing what you need to work on is the first step. And one thing for sure, you'll never be 100% satisfied with the results! 

You'll also find you pay more attention to public speakers, interview sets, hand gestures, conversations on the street... 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Headshot or not?

by Leonne Beebe -

Sylvia,

As you say, thinking and making our message/content is more important than how we might look/feel about ourselves when we judge ourselves in our videos too much. Changing my focus to "it's not about me; it's about you" may help making videos a lot easier.  In f2f teaching, if we think about ourselves while we are teaching, we would soon forget what we want to say.   

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne