Leonne's Intro

Leonne's Intro

by Leonne Beebe -
Number of replies: 5
In reply to Leonne Beebe

Re: Leonne's Intro

by Sylvia Currie -

Congratulations on being the first out the gate, Leonne! I was having some difficulties watching the video but once I got to a desktop computer and used Chrome it worked just fine. 

I'll leave lots of room for others to comment, but just want to say what stood out:

- Nice and brief! 

- Are you a singer by any chance? You have very nice voice projection, and you're remembering to breathe. Also, no ummmm and ahhhhh. Yay!

- You're using the video to get across a very wise and useful message: Out of confusion comes clarity! This comes across nicely because you didn't pack in a lot of other information. 

- I was wanting to see a little more of the friendly and relaxed side of you. :)

How did you find the whole experience? Was it a lot of prep? Any surprises when you played back the video?

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Leonne Beebe -

Sylvia, you asked how was my whole experience...

Well, making videos is new for me, so I asked Ken, one of our TLC ed techs, to help me.  He set me up in the video room and showed me how to start, record, stop and delete.  I think it took me at least nine times to get this one video made before I ran out of time.  My biggest problem was deciding how close to the camera I should be.  First, I stood in front of the camera, and all I could see was my face - delete. Then, I sat on a stool, which I thought looked okay until I played it back and found I kept moving from side to side - delete.  Finally, I sat on the chair, which stopped me from moving, but when I previewed the video, my hands fell over the ends of the chair arms, and they looked like plastic hands at the end of my sleeves - delete. Once I decided on my best position, I started practicing my talk.  This took a few more deletes as I messed up what I wanted to say. Finally, I ran out of time and took my last video to use.  One thing I noticed at the beginning but couldn't change was my shirt and top were too light and reflected the light, so I will wear a darker colour for the next video go round. By the end, I was quite comfortable with previewing, deleting and starting again as each attempt did seem to get easier. I'm still unsure how much I want to say about me because I tell my students, "It's not about me; it's about you". 

With posting my video, again, Ken came to my rescue as I didn't know how to get my video from our BBL Kaltura to your Moodle Kaltura.  We did this over the phone, step by step, so I really don't know if I could do it on my own.  One of our UFV FLO participants recently said our ed techs from the TLC (Teaching and Learning Centre) treat us with TLC (tender loving care). They are our biggest supports with this online learning.

So, I will boldly go and ask Ken to help me set up for my second video and see how it goes.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Robin Leung -

Hi Leonne,

Great first attempt! Although, as Sylvia mentioned your video wasn't viewable on mobile but worked fine on desktop. We've uploaded your video to Kaltura and I've embedded it below so that those using mobile devices will be able to see your video as well.

I think having your video viewable in multi-devices is something you may want to consider because it allows the learner to use whatever device they are comfortable learning with. In our institution, our stat shows one-third of our traffic is coming from mobile devices (and that's likely to grow) as learners adapt to more mobile technology.

In reply to Robin Leung

by Leonne Beebe -

Thanks, Mike,

That's a good point as many  students use their cell phones now instead of computers. Something new to learn how to do, so what did you do to make the video viewable on mobile devices? 

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Leonne Beebe

by Robin Leung -
Good question! With my video, I've opted to put it in Kaltura (I believe you also mentioned that your institution uses Kaltura). The nice thing about Kaltura is that it will take any type of video formats you throw at it and it will spit out a single format and player that works across all platforms. You wouldn't need to worry if it's in the correct format or if it'll work on mobile.