Robin's intro video

Robin's intro video

by Robin Leung -
Number of replies: 5

Hello everyone,

Above is my intro video for this course. Made with an iOS app called "Clip" (sorry, this one's only available for iPhone/iPad users). Like Sylvia, I will also not add any challenges or questions here. But be sure to watch the full video and be sure to answer the question from it.

I will monitor the discussions daily, that will be my commitment to you in this course. Looking forward to a great week ahead! 
In reply to Robin Leung

Re: Robin's intro video

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Robin, 

Nice to e-meet you. I like the great outdoors and am a foodie too. I just discovered a great food scene in Victoria yesterday - a place called the Imagine Studio Cafe that has an intercultural dinner & conversation once a month. 

In this course, I want to make a great little instructor/course intro video for a 4 week online course in intercultural learning that I'm facilitating in July.  

In your video example, I like your informal, friendly tone and the bit of professional & personal information you shared. However, I think I'll skip the circus music in my own video and will sync the voice-over with the captions if I use them ;-)

In reply to Donna DesBiens

by Robin Leung -

Hi Donna,

A pleasure to "e-meet" you (I just learned a new term today)!  Thanks for the cafe recommendation. It's been years since I've been to Victoria, but this will give me an excuse to go over.

Thanks for the feedback on my video. There's a few ways to do captions. I've opted for the easiest way because I didn't have a lot of time to put this together. Clips has what's called "Live titles" that uses voice recognition technology that perfectly synced to your voice. I'd say it's 85% accurate and if there's an editor which you can use to correct or change any incorrect predictions. But if you have more time, I know YouTube has a pretty neat captions annotator that is fairly easy to use. Captions are getting more and more uptake, not only is it a good example of universal design for learning but also very useful for those who can't watch with audio turned on at the particular moment.

I look forward to seeing your intro video. :-) 

In reply to Robin Leung

by Donna DesBiens -

Hey Robin,

I really did like your video, including the humour with the cool glasses and the outdoor view of Kwantlen.  Sadly, I became suspicious after watching Sylvia's "bad example" so thought we were to look out for tricks & issues. Thus, my comment about the circus music in the background.  

I'm going to use the Kaltura MyMedia option to make my own video because that's what we have integrated in Moodle at RRU.  Also, it's very user friendly, and has a captioning option. I agree with you about the importance of using multimodal channels/UDL for optimal accessibility.  

One of our great learning technologists here has mentioned that speaking in a measured pace  and enunciating clearly will really help accuracy in the auto-transcription of captions. I plan to do that this time... unlike my very first video attempt where I spoke like I might at a French Cdn family reunion, :-)

In reply to Robin Leung

by Leonne Beebe -

Hi Robin,

Thank you for joining with Sylvia to put on this workshop.I like to take the pilot workshops for the new FLO workshops because the facilitators and participants have the "boldly go" sense of adventure. You have a relaxed and informal manner, which makes me want to get to know you better and learn from you.  Do you think it is better to sit down and have more of you showing or just use a head shot?

I have just started learning how to make an intro video; my first attempt  took me about 10 tries before it was good enough to use, and I still want to redo it. I will be using Kaltura as this is what we use at UFV with our Black Board Learn LMS, so tips with this would be helpful.. 

I look forward to "FLO-ing along with you and the other participants for the next week.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Robin Leung

by June Kaminski -

Thanks for sharing Robin, 

I enjoyed your intro video - even the lovely gusts of wind that graced your audio at times. I am one of those KPU faculty that you help frequently, so again Thank You!

My purpose for taking this course is to get me going. I have intended to add intro videos to all of the online courses I teach (five this coming semester!) but have not gotten around to it. I am hoping this course will give me ideas and help to motivate me to get this done before the fall. 

All the best, 

June