Sylvia Currie's video

Sylvia Currie's video

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 6

I created this video using an iPhone and iMovie. I also used a public domain image from Pixabay and a sound track from BBC Sound Effects.

I won't add my challenges and questions here. Instead, be sure to watch my video to the end to read my question for YOU!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Sylvia Currie's video

by Christina Thomas -

Hahaha! I almost didn't last until the end when you let the "cat out of the bag".

Good job on creating an example of what we don't want: poor lighting, ball cap (can't see you completely), sometimes difficult to hear audio, confusing background and movement, etc.

by Donna DesBiens -

Hi Sylvia,

Where to begin?  Was it the background barking, serious camera shake, or glaring back lighting that was most headache-making?  And was that a pile of dirty laundry in the corner?

About instructor presence, what came across to me was boring...  lots of detail in a monotone voice, even when talking about passionate interests!   The video is only 1:27 minutes but seems much longer!!! 

Great idea to give this what not to do example.  No one wants to be that person!  

Cheers, Donna

by Jacquie Harrison -

Hi Sylvia,

Yep! You covered most of the faux pas of videos. The one thing I think you did right though was not reading from a script.

Now I am going to have to go back and look at some of my intro videos to see if I've made any of these mistakes. 

I may have a blinding light in the background of one of mine.

Thanks for sharing this!

by Jamie Billingham -

Nice one Sylvia,

Funnily enough I didn't really find your video off-putting at all. Perhaps because I've seen way worse and maybe in part because I just stopped watching after the first few seconds. I listened very carefully though (filtered out the dogs barking along with the sound of my grandkids running around upstairs) and other than thinking that you sounded a bit tired I came away with a "sense" that there was a person attached to the name in the forum.

The take-aways for me are that sound matters more than visuals and that we humans are really adaptable :-)

Cheers,

Jamie

by Leonne Beebe -

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for offering this micro-FLO workshop. Clever to show us what not to do; however, until the end, I was starting to feel comfortable that my intro  video would fit right in with yours! 

Sometimes, when the video is made on a cell phone, the size of photo compared to the amount of black on the screen seems like a waste of space, and I know a lot of instructors who make their videos on their phones. There seemed to be a lot of movement that made me want to listen and not watch.

I'm looking forward to "boldly going" and learning how to make a basic video. 

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne 

by June Kaminski -

Thanks for this great example Sylvia, 

Despite the dim lighting, vertical phone recording (one of my pet peeves), and so on, your lilting voice still assured me that this will be a great course. I also found myself hanging on your every word, trying to make sure I had the gist of the course down. I can see how my own online students must crave as much direction as they can get. 

Thanks again,

June