Learning how to become a star or the best you can be

Learning how to become a star or the best you can be

by chris macrae -
Number of replies: 3

1-2-3 of Learning how to become a star or the best you can be

1 Hunting for the terminology or those who are facilitating the practices of this

This is what excites me most about studies of (action) learning. But I don?t know the jargon- what terms do I need to search for educators who study or structure mentoring to help people achieve this. Where are the practice communities that I can listen to or converse in

2 Examples of who?s truly facilitating this are easy for me to spot

You want an example whose bookmark you can look at http://www.twlc.org/  ? try the revolutionary apprenticeship format that Tiger Woods is experimenting with, and open sourcing

Less famous examples: are wherever someone in an inner city starts saying they want to see young hubs next to schools. That welcome adolescents cross-culturally and as project mobilisation centres where they help choose the projects. For example, Sofia/>/>?s teams aim to facilitate this in London/>/> ?project Turn Up the Courage. http://searchtheresa.blogspot.com

What?s the best metric. Drucker?s colleagues at Claremont/>/> are nearest at this in my view. They measure what % of time is someone spending at the edge of experiences that improve their own deepest competences. I would hypothesise that if you can get a child and peers all having an intense experience of this for a few months (the self-confidence and discovery of a skill they can develop) then that?s the most magical piece in education for say a 10-15 year old. In this context facilitation processes like open space are the clearing house process you need to mix and match discovery and co-mentoring

Oddly when reality tv programmes are at their best , you get a brief glimpse of someone discovering their action learning exponential

3 How did I come 2?

In sports I was lucky to watch great amateurs developing ? in tennis (I was born in Wimbledon/> and when I was 7 you could go down after school and watch amateurs developing). The only team I ever really loved spectating went all the way from amateur to top professional division. In theatre or talent contests, I have loved festivals eg Edinburgh/>/> or stages eg Rada and pub theatres in London/>/> where you can got and spot a start being born.

However, my first job was 3 years in the UK/>/>?s national development program in computer assisted learning 1973-1976. We did enough experiments for me to be convinced this is the great possibility of computers in learning. It ca free up a teacher?s time so they can study who?s great at what, and then put them on customised mentoring programs even if these need to involve a lot of personal tutoring at the confidence building stage before a kid can go off and search the knowledge, project experiences and mentors they need.

related resources:

http://universityofstars.blogspot.com

http://ninenow.blogspot.com/1999_12_01_ninenow_archive.html

http://www.frappr.com/younghubs

In reply to chris macrae

Re: Learning how to become a star or the best you can be

by Jay Cross -
Born in Wimbledon. Wow!

I like the Drucker construct (" % of time is someone spending at the edge of experiences that improve their own deepest competences") but want to append something about societal good. If someone's deepest competence is being an axe-murderer.... You get the idea.

In reply to Jay Cross

Re: Learning how to become a star or the best you can be

by chris macrae -

yes I am sure if we look at the detailed work it includes in its defintion of competence that which progresses human good

the work to follow is that of

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (Mee-high CHICK-sent-me-high-ee),

I am afraid I find his name so hard to recall spelling of that I don't fully reference him as much as I should - another way to get to him quickly is to google +flow +claremont

In reply to chris macrae

Re: Learning how to become a star - theory of flow in learning

by Susanne Nyrop -
Hi Chris,

thanks for reminding me about Csikzsentmihalyi and his flow theory of optimal learning. This is very well known in Denmark with several researchers working to propagate the development of learning environments and teaching strategeies that would encourage the optimal flow (where challenges are big enough to make learning exciting and not too high that you lose your motivation because of stress).

I've had the pleasure to study at the Danish University of Education (yes, this country is so smal that it is the one and only!), with professor Hans-Henrik Knoop who is collaborating with both Csikzsentmihalyi and Howard Gardner. And with Frans Orsted-Andersen whose article is reporting a high degree of optimal flow found in some Danish folkeskole (primary and lover secondary) schools randomly chosen

Optimal_learning_environments_at_Danish_primary_schools.pdf

I've wanted to tell you about some of this, and share this easy accesible article  ever since we started this conversation about informal learning, but as usual with asycnhronous communication, much of the dialogue is going on between myself , my google search and the posting participants' inspiration and  intellectual and conceptual challenges, not always resulting in an instant feedback into the seminar forum. This is the beauty as well as the weakness of online interaction; only part of the knowledge development can be visibly documented and reported.

Although I'm not directly referring anything specific from this article, I would love to know if someone is reading and thinking, and I'm always very interested in a dialogue about differences in school paradigms and cultures.