Low Stakes Writing

Low Stakes Writing

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 0
I've been wandering around with this "low stakes writing" idea in my head all weekend. A few teaching and course design regrets came to mind while listening (and writing) in Kathryn Alexander & Nadeane Trowse's session! I realize that I've been guilty of imposing formal evaluation criteria on writing assignments that should have been left as informal and exploratory. blush Never again!

I especially like the idea of "quick writes". We experienced first hand how removing the restrictions and expectations on what you write can allow it flow very easily. A quick write is just as it sounds -- here's a topic or question, now write quickly for x minutes. Here are a few reflections on the quick write process:
  • I would never verbalize what I wrote on paper. That would be too laden with expectations!
  • I thought I would have nothing to say on the topic, but discovered I was wrong!
  • We were advised to keep all quick writes.
  • Allowing for writing time in a group setting is a great way to focus a discussion. It gets everyone into the same topic space.
Who uses low stakes writing activities in their courses? It would be great to gather together some ideas. Some more were offered in the workshop. Any note-takers out there?