Making it work with large classes

Re: Making it work with large classes

by Heather Ryan -
Number of replies: 0

Sylvia,

Appreciate your summary, thank you for this exchange.  One never knows that what is said is understood. Far from being frightening, once you dive in and give up some of the control (not all though because there is a skeleton of concepts and elements on OH's or powerpoint that guide direction), you feel freer than the time and resourcing limits imposed by typical classes. One student said how important it is to really want the q's not pay lip service in real pursuit of completion of the day's "topic'. I trust the keen students who first enage to raise stimulating evidence, perplexing contradictions or tangents that arise from the topic relevant to their lives. I find lack of time the real threat. When I have offered the notes in on-line modules, the students say they enjoy them but want to discuss the topics in class too. They want more not less. Then I know our course is relevant and they care abvout understanding not just grades. I can no longer give a conventional lecture. It bores me and my audience and feels sterile without the interaction. What do you do with your diverse students to engage? Class size is not at the heart of this conversation.

Heather Ryan