Making it work with large classes

Making it work with large classes

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 1
I attended this session because I have no experience whatsoever with large classes, other than what I experienced as a student (a long long time ago!) and all those lectures were far from interactive.

I gathered together some tips for engaging students in dialogue in a large lecture hall type setting. I would sure like to visit University of Regina one day to see Heather in action! Even in our small gathering I noticed how Heather was able to observe who was in the session and use that in her presentation, she spoke to individuals and everyone at once, I even felt her bring me back into the discussion with her eyes when I started fish around in my briefcase to check where I was going next! blush
  • Listen to the students! Get their feedback about the course, how they feel about the format, how it is different from other courses they have experienced. Heather played a tape from a focus group session in a bar with her students.
  • Don't be afraid of the numbers. It doesn't matter how big the class is. There will always be people who are confident enough to speak up and get things rolling.
  • Begin the course by encouraging students to form study groups. This will help the students who do not speak up in class.
  • Design the course sessions around "elements" rather than content/lectures. For example a vignette can anchor a discussion which draws out the core themes that students would otherwise learn about through a lecture. The difference is it comes from the students and not the instructor
  • Build rapport gradually. It takes time for students to understand and adjust to the interactive format.
  • Be very flexible. You never know what is going to happen.
  • Get used to noise! Expect that students will talk while you're talking. Draw the line when a student is speaking to the entire class. Make it a rule of the classroom to respect fellow classmates who have something to share with the entire class.
  • Go with the flow. Use students' contributions as opportunities to go off on tangents and explore new areas.
  • Be aware that communication isn't ideal in a large lecture hall. Repeat and paraphrase questions and comments made by students to make sure everyone hears. Use interactive techniques like "clicker technnology" for polls and ways to check understanding. Use the results to advance the dialogue.
After this session I still can't see myself doing any of this! I think the fear of uncertainty would take over and I would have difficulty thinking on my feet. It obviously takes practice, but where do you begin?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Making it work with large classes

by Heather Ryan -

Sylvia,

Appreciate your summary, thank you for this exchange.  One never knows that what is said is understood. Far from being frightening, once you dive in and give up some of the control (not all though because there is a skeleton of concepts and elements on OH's or powerpoint that guide direction), you feel freer than the time and resourcing limits imposed by typical classes. One student said how important it is to really want the q's not pay lip service in real pursuit of completion of the day's "topic'. I trust the keen students who first enage to raise stimulating evidence, perplexing contradictions or tangents that arise from the topic relevant to their lives. I find lack of time the real threat. When I have offered the notes in on-line modules, the students say they enjoy them but want to discuss the topics in class too. They want more not less. Then I know our course is relevant and they care abvout understanding not just grades. I can no longer give a conventional lecture. It bores me and my audience and feels sterile without the interaction. What do you do with your diverse students to engage? Class size is not at the heart of this conversation.

Heather Ryan